hunter case pocket watches

Apr 22, 2009
gladstone
Country
Region
were any original lever set cases ever used for pendant set watches?i have a riverside maximus that looks like original case, but has a slot for a lever set on the bezel, but is pendant set. thanks

49stude63

Mar 21, 2009
Michigan
Country
Region
Hopefully others will comment also but I think many jewelers would stock movements and cases and depending on the buyers desires and likes a movement could be paired with a case that the buyer selected. So it would be likely that someone could pair a case already slotted for a lever set but install a movement that was a pendent set.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
I've got doubts that a hunting case would be pre-slotted. There's too much variation in lever location (even though most 16-size hunting movements are supposed to have their levers at the 21-minute position). Even in open-face cases, I think that the era of the pre-slotted case was much later than the riverside maximus. The exception of course would be factory cased watches, but only if the movements had a lever in the first place.

Jon Hanson

Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston, Ma.
www.americanhorologe.com
Country
Region
were any original lever set cases ever used for pendant set watches?i have a riverside maximus that looks like original case, but has a slot for a lever set on the bezel, but is pendant set. thanks
Absolutely!

Apr 22, 2009
gladstone
Country
Region
thank you all for the fine information. i am a new member to the NAWCC. i have alot of pocket watches.i believe they call it an addiction.it is nice to be able to ask others for help, for i have a great deal to learn.it is one of those hobbies where the more you learn the less you feel you know.mike

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Welcome to the hobby. I dated a girl from Gladstone the summer of 1950.:D

Roy Ehrhardt was from the Lee's Summit area before finally moving to Florida. Most of his best early work on cataloging American watches was done there.

Where is the lever slot on your case? Is it to the left or right of the pendant? Was it manufactured into the case or was it cut after the case was made. You can tell if you look really closely.

Apr 22, 2009
gladstone
Country
Region
Welcome to the hobby. I dated a girl from Gladstone the summer of 1950.:D

Roy Ehrhardt was from the Lee's Summit area before finally moving to Florida. Most of his best early work on cataloging American watches was done there.

Where is the lever slot on your case? Is it to the left or right of the pendant? Was it manufactured into the case or was it cut after the case was made. You can tell if you look really closely.
hello. it is at the 23 minute mark. it is a 25 year cwc case.slot looks it was manufactured into the case. it is not very noticeable.i have one of roys books, and three or four of my watch buddies were friends of his when he was in kansas city. everyone said he was a gfreat guy.wish i could have met him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luc1lle160
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller