Hugh Joseph Pilkington, chorley, Fusee movement.

Omexa

NAWCC Member
Feb 28, 2010
Darwin, Australia
Country
Region
This Decorative Fusee movement, signed H.J Pilkington, has one of the widest Balance Cock that I have seen on a fusee movement. I can only wonder what escapement it has? Chorley is very close to Ormskirk. Sellers description: "Antique Fusee Pocket Watch Movement Hugh Joseph Pilkington in original as found condition please see images for details movement is ticking as I list, it might need service or clean no dial and looks to have a couple of cogs missing that work the hands movement signed H.J Pilkington." Regards Ray 1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Ray,

I think you have a typical Liverpool movement, ("crow's feet" in the regulator scale), with maintaining power, and maybe a Massey. Not sure what you mean by a wide balance cock, looks about right for first quarter of the C19th.

I don't think this is a chaffcutter!

Regards,

Graham

Omexa

NAWCC Member
Feb 28, 2010
Darwin, Australia
Country
Region
Hi Graham, by Wide I meant between the arrows. I did not think that it is a chaffcutter! but I was interested that Chorley was close to Ormskirk. Both of these Towns made watch movements but I had not seen Chorely before. It will be interesting if it has a Massey and what type. Lots of decoration and a well executed signature. Any information on Maker? There is a "Pilkington Oils in Chorely maybe a branch of the Family. Regards Ray 3 - Copy.JPG

Omexa

NAWCC Member
Feb 28, 2010
Darwin, Australia
Country
Region
Hi, an interesting thing about this movement is that the maker has taken the trouble to Engrave the Mainspring Barrel Cover. I just looked at all the Fusees on the Large Auction site and I could not find another one with an engraved "Mainspring Barrel Cover". Regards Ray

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Ray,

See what you mean, but there was a lot of variation in balance cocks. I can't find a Pilkington of Chorley in Britten's. The engraved barrel bridge is certainly unusual.

Regards,

Graham

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
The maker appears in Slater's Directory of Lancashire 1855 at Market Street, Chorley as a Watch and Clock Maker.

Omexa

NAWCC Member
Feb 28, 2010
Darwin, Australia
Country
Region
Thanks Martin, I was beginning to think that I had another "Orphan movement" with nothing known about it. Rather pretty isn't it? Well you have got the Bloodhound on track with your information. A thing of interest is that the Husband was called Head in the records. Captureerg.PNG Regards Ray

Last edited:

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
"Head" just means "head of household" which is a term once used in census records in the UK. From the record you found, the year will give you the date of birth of Hugh Joseph who is given as aged 39 in that year.

You do indeed have a pretty movement. That engraving on the barrel plate seems to have been relatively uncommon, but I have seen other examples in the 1820/30s. I have a quite unusual watch by Dwerrihiuse & Carter (famous for their long-case clocks, I believe) - it's a beautifully decorated movement in a surprisingly ordinary case, and it's certainly an expensive and high quality watch. It dates to 1822.

11 1 Dwerrihouse & Carter.jpg 11 5 Dwerrihouse & Carter.jpg 11 6 Dwerrihouse & Carter.jpg

Incidentally, your man High Joseph is very clearly shown in Slater's Directory as a watch and clock maker - there are separate headings in the directory for watch makers and clock makers.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
They have the same number and the same engraving so it seems likely...

Lychnobius

Aug 5, 2015
Redruth, Cornwall, UK
Country
Perhaps this time we shall be able to learn what the escapement is. However, Graham was certainly right five years ago in suggesting that it had to be a Massey or at least some kind of lever. I say this because of the four visible pivot-holes (reading clockwise: lever [with banking-pins], escape-wheel, fourth wheel, third wheel). In a verge or an Ormskirk there would be only the last two of these, since there is no lever and the escape-wheel arbor is mounted transversely. A cylinder or duplex would have three.

Oliver Mundy.

Reactions: Allan C. Purcell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller