• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Cuckoo Hubert Herr cuckoo

BCMC

Dec 27, 2014
Eagle Idaho
Country
Bought a couple of inexpensive clocks to learn on. One is a cuckoo with
Hubert Herr movement. Edelweise musical movement, It has two sets of carved Germans that their hands
move drinking beer. The upper area has a bird that comes out and in
another window is a guy that appears to be holding a tray. I am missing
the weights and pendulum. Does anyone have any idea what size weight
and pendulum I should look for. This might be beyond me to work on
but I only have $15 invested and I'll have fun. Thanks T

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
You will have to determine if it is a one day or an 8 day movement. Look at cuckoo pendulums at Timesavers and pick one you like that seems to fit with the case style.
www.timesavers.com

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Post a few pictures of the movement. An 8 day movement will have extra gears (4 in the time train for 8 day, 3 for one day)

BCMC

Dec 27, 2014
Eagle Idaho
Country
I just read that an 1 day clock will have 48 links to a foot and 8 day 60. This clock has 60 so it must be an 8 day. Is this correct. Thanks T

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I just read that an 1 day clock will have 48 links to a foot and 8 day 60. This clock has 60 so it must be an 8 day. Is this correct. Thanks T
Where did you read that,T? Timesavers page on chains has Herr 1 day with 59 links per foot, and 8 day has 45 LPF.
www.timesaves.com

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Likely weight would be about 325 or maybe 420 grams. You can make up some test weights with tin cans, some wire across the top to catch the hooks on the clock, and a kitchen scale to see what weight you have. Fill the cans with anything you have (nuts and bolts, sand, pebbles) until you get them up to about 325 grams, then test your movement to see if anything works.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
If the star wheel is the on the same arbor as the chain wheel, it is
a one day. If on a separate arbor, it is an 8 day. Why not just look at
the movement and not worry about counting links.
Tinker Dwight

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
No. Any 8 day movement has heavier weights and will have heavier chain to hold the weights. The chain must have fewer links per foot if it is 8 day. This is true for both Hubert Herr and Regula.

BCMC

Dec 27, 2014
Eagle Idaho
Country
I'll give the sand in the can a try to figure out what weights I need. Do I only need to hang it on one of the chains not all three. I'm guessing the chain on the right as you are looking at the clock is the one that runs the time. Am I right. Thanks T
I should probably hang three cans to see what it is going to take to get it going. My wife would love it.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
You should be able to tell by looking at the movement and following the chains as to which one does what. Without a pendulum, you won't be able to run the time.

BCMC

Dec 27, 2014
Eagle Idaho
Country
I thought about that last night. There seems to be two pendulums lengths on timesavers for Chalet type cuckoo clocks. Maybe if I give them a call they can figure out which one I need. Thanks T

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Well, without pictures, all I can say is that it is easier to make a too long one shorter, than a too short one longer.

kevin h

Apr 9, 2015
cambridge md
Country
I always try to make the chains as long as possible , I have a similar clock clock with beer drinkers and music . It is titled the HofBrauhaus I believe , a beer garden still in business cuckoo 006.jpg this one has a regula 1 day that needed a plate due to wear

kevin h

Apr 9, 2015
cambridge md
Country
I forgot to add that cuckoo clocks are wonderful to learn on , tolerances are loose , parts are plentiful , and getting it all to work ,music , beer drinkers and the bird will give you a lesson in patience and humility

BCMC

Dec 27, 2014
Eagle Idaho
Country
Contacted Mile Hi and they advised me that my clock should
take 320 gram weights. They also have a Chalet pendulum for
a one day clock. I'm been researching cuckoo clocks on the net
to see if I find anything similar. I found one that is real close listed
as a Black Forest. Mine doesn't have their sticker. I'll attach a pic
to see if anyone has any info they can give me. Thanks T Cuckoo clock.jpg

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
I there is a newer company called Black Forest but all these clocks were
made in the Black Forest ( mostly ) so, that may not have any meaning.
Many earlier ones were made by cottage industry. The distributors would
send out movement and get clocks back to sell.
Now days it is mostly a manufacturing operation.
Tinker Dwight

BCMC

Dec 27, 2014
Eagle Idaho
Country
I received the weights and pendulum from Mile Hi and they work great. Time is right and cuckoo is sounding off fine. The second door with the man next to the cuckoo is not work, the four beer drinkers are not drinking and the melody is not working. Does anyone have a picture or info that shows the arms and wires that control these systems? I'll attach a pic of the movement. Thanks T Cuckoo movement.jpg

BCMC

Dec 27, 2014
Eagle Idaho
Country
Additional, the clock had stickers on both sides that would have been taken off when the owner got home. Would or could there be a shut off for the music that wasn't done. One side lever shuts down the cuckoo in working this lever the men nor music work. Thanks T

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
In your picture, on the left, it looks like a piece was glue to the lever and connected to the
wire below.
The music box should be mounted such that it engages the black cam wheel.
In the picture it looks to be off to the side.
The black cam on driven by the strike chain wheel should actuate the dither player.
The levers should enable the music to play.
Get that part to work first then figure out the rest of the animation.

BCMC

Dec 27, 2014
Eagle Idaho
Country
The wire I think you are talking about activates the arm of one of the beer drinkers. There is another one out of the picture. I removed the music box and found out the wire that activates all the beer drinkers was jammed and causing the music to lock up. I replaced the music box and adjusted all the wire movements the best I could. It is running now but the music is barely audible. The only thing I don't have working is the waiter next to the cuckoo. My back is killing me so that will be at a later date. Thanks T

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Progress, you deserve a break.
The black cam seen on the lower right of the movement,
looking at the picture of the back, is suppose to operate the dither player
( the little man).
Look at how it is suppose to work. I can't tell what is the problem
from the picture. I can only tell you where it is.
You'll most likely need to pull the movement to see what is not working.
Tinker Dwight

BCMC

Dec 27, 2014
Eagle Idaho
Country
Progress. The black cam you described got out of sequence when I removed the music box. It took me 30 mins to figure this out. Now the wires that move the arms of the beer drinkers are not tight and need to be probably glued in. I still can't figure out why the mucic box is so soft. You can barely hear it, Thanks T

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The music box has to have a wooden sound board. You can't hear much when it's out of the box. If it's secured to the sound board and you still can't hear it, then the 'teeth' in the harp are not being lifted enough.

BCMC

Dec 27, 2014
Eagle Idaho
Country
The music box is connected to a sound board. Is there any oiling that could make the music box turn a little easier and faster? When I removed it the box was hard to turn I realize this is done to control the speed but after several days of operation the sound is getting a little louder. Thanks T

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It has pivots, just like a clock movement. Oil at the pivot points and see how it works. Lighter oil would be better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB767
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent