Clock Help Hubert Herr Cuckoo - wire that blocks paddles on music box

Discussion in 'Parts Wanted' started by Brock Gains, May 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Brock Gains

Brock Gains Registered User

Apr 23, 2020
    Male
    Retired Stationary Engineer 2nd Class
    Dunnville, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    I have a Hubert Herr cuckoo clock which I just finished
    disassembling, cleaning and reassembling. All works well except for the thin wire that is pushed forward when the coo-coo's sound that stops the music box from playing until the coo-coo's are finished. It's broken off. ​
    This wire is 0.075 mm/0.029" in diameter and likely was originally 4"-6" in length. Enclosed are pictures and a diagram that may help in understanding it's purpose.​
    Unable to find a source for a wire such as this, any help as to where to find such, greatly ​
    appreciated. Preferably in Canada but USA or Europe equally fine. ​

20200501_120150.jpg
    20200523_131455.jpg diagram.jpg

2. Royce

Royce Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think you are missing something by 10 in your mm to inch conversion. Is it .075mm which is .002952" or .75mm which is .02952"

Brock Gains likes this.
  3. Brock Gains

Brock Gains Registered User

Apr 23, 2020
    Male
    Retired Stationary Engineer 2nd Class
    Dunnville, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Your correct, should be 0.75mm or 0.0295". A carrier working on boilers and turbines I'm not accustomed to such TINY measurements, I apologise. But still any hints where to find such a wire, must be stiff but still able to bend to get through the holes and crimp over? I did a test run with the broken piece of wire and it can be pre-bent into the "U" shape then inserted into the shaft then the short end bent over WITHOUT having to disassemble the entire movement, again.
    20200526_135809.jpg 20200526_135744.jpg

4. Royce

Royce Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I understand completely; clock material is very small.

Timesavers (Welcome to TimeSavers | Worldwide distributor of clock parts and repair material) Part No..20288 - Pinion Wire is 0.029" in diameter and comes 6" long. You get 12 pieces so if you mess one up, you can try again. I'm not sure if you will have to anneal the end you need to bend or not but if so, that is simple enough. Since you will have 12 pieces, I would try bending one without and see what happens.

I checked the website at H & W Perrin Company LTD, which is a good ole Canadian Clock & Watch Parts and Supplies company, but I couldn't find anything that was long enough. You might want to take a look at their website and see if you can find anything suitable if you wish to purchase Canadian.

I think this will work for your purposes.

Brock Gains likes this.