Help Hubert Herr cuckoo clock ticks and tocks, but hands dont move

Conner'sClocks

Jan 24, 2021
Country
Hello, I acquired a hubert herr cuckoo clock (I believe with a KW60 Movement (one day).

first day I got it, it worked just fine, so I left it on overnight because it doesnt bother anyone.

Next day I see it stuck at the same time it was at when I went to bed (10:45 was the last time I looked at it before going to bed). I am able to move the hands, but there is no friction on the minute hand, and I think its loose enough to the point where even with the friction nut, it doesnt advance the movement.

When I took the minute hand off, it looks like it was supposed to be square. seems like it is a circle now. Could that be a factor to the problem?

Tbucket

NAWCC Member
May 7, 2016
Easton, Pa
Country
Region
Hi Connor,

Make sure that the hand nut is tight against the minute hand. I have seen some cuckoo clocks where the hands don't move at all with the hand nut loose, even though the movement is running.

Reactions: neighmond

Conner'sClocks

Jan 24, 2021
Country
Hi Connor,

Make sure that the hand nut is tight against the minute hand. I have seen some cuckoo clocks where the hands don't move at all with the hand nut loose, even though the movement is running.
Mine moves more with the minute hand nut loose. it I tighten it, it forces the hand to move with high amount of friction and not the movement. dont want to risk breaking the hand.

Conner'sClocks

Jan 24, 2021
Country
below are images of the minute hand. I think the hole is supposed to be a square.

even with the hands off the movement, the shafts should still turn, right?

image.jpg image.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Late model HHs have a very odd hand shaft clutch set up.

If working correctly, you would rotate the hand shaft to the hour drop off, set the minute hand to 12 and tighten the hand nut, that's it. There is no 'adjustment' other than this, except to rotate the hour hand to agree with the hour struck. These motion works parts are small and made of plastic on the later clocks. AFAIK, HH is gone gone now. :(

A photo might help. Few people on this earth know anything about HH production numbers ... Willie X

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
I have one of these as well, although mine is from the 19th century (its actually my dad's clock and it was originally his great-grandmother's clock that she brought over from Germany when she came over in the 1880s.)

On my dad's clock the clock took a tumble off the wall one day when he was winding it up, and it broke the leaf and cuckoo bird decoration on the top of the clock, and the minute hand broke, and unfortunately I have yet to find a proper fitting set of hands for his clock, and I have yet to find a top decoration piece that is the proper stain color and the same leaf and cuckoo bird pattern as the original one was.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Post a pic of the hardware you have to hold on both hands. That will give us an idea of which type you have.

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
Post a pic of the hardware you have to hold on both hands. That will give us an idea of which type you have.
The pictures below are of my dad's antique cuckoo clock showing a close-up view of the hand shafts, and the hand mounting nuts, and the view of the front of the clock overall and a picture of the original top trim piece that was broken when the clock fell off the wall.

Antique Cuckoo Clock hand shafts.jpg
Antique cuckoo clock hand shafts.

Antique Cuckoo Clock hand retainer nuts.jpg
Antique cuckoo clock hand mounting nuts

Antique Black Forest Cuckoo Clock.jpg
My dad's antique cuckoo clock overall front view

Antique Cuckoo Clock top ornament trim.jpg
My dad's cuckoo clock top trim piece.

Conner'sClocks

Jan 24, 2021
Country
The pictures below are of my dad's antique cuckoo clock showing a close-up view of the hand shafts, and the hand mounting nuts, and the view of the front of the clock overall and a picture of the original top trim piece that was broken when the clock fell off the wall.

View attachment 697117
Antique cuckoo clock hand shafts.

View attachment 697118
Antique cuckoo clock hand mounting nuts

View attachment 697119
My dad's antique cuckoo clock overall front view

View attachment 697121
My dad's cuckoo clock top trim piece.
the hand shaft and nuts are identical.. your shaft looks better than mine lol

I’ll be getting a video of my movement today.. my wood dial broke so I have access to the front of the movement.

neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
Rural Iowa
Country
Region
Okay, you want to check the minute wheel tightness, theses old ones run off the minute wheel, which is affixed to the front great wheel pivot and drives both the cannon pinion and the hour wheels. There is a tension spring on the arbour which bears against the lower face of the minute wheel, and a flat washer lays above the hour pinion and bears against a taper pin that passes through the front great pivot.

My money is either on the tension spring or the taper pin being in a state of failure.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Some good photos would be helpful.

Probably no one knows what you have there.

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimik
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-