Hti Clock cleaner and Substitute

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by DeweyC, Apr 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    I have been getting a lot of emails from people who are sorry to see the demise of my cleaner. Timesavers just wasn't having enough call for it and I hate retail.

Here is a basic formula that works as a subsitute. Be aware, ammonia is used to turn the oleic acid into a soap. Free ammonia is waste and doesn't do much of anything.

Regards,

Dewey

Cleaning Solution.jpg

fbicknel and Troy Livingston like this.
  2. Troy Livingston

Troy Livingston Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Aerospace Stress Engineer
    Melrose, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Dewey. I was also sorry to see it go.

Troy

3. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm surprised to see it go but they still offer Deox-007 Polychem Nonammoniated Deox-007 - 1 Gallon which I find to be perhaps a little better. It seems to brighten brass just as well, mixes easier, rinses cleaner without an alcohol requirement, and doesn't thicken on prolonged standing, and doesn't get cloudy in the cold, and costs a few bucks less for a gallon. Perhaps that's why they dropped their other product?

RC

5. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I still have most of a gallon of HTk, but when it's gone, I'll give Deox a shot.

6. sharukh

sharukh Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Doctor
    Mumbai, India
    Country Flag:
    Dewey,

What is the book that this page comes from ?

Sharukh

7. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    1959 Waltham catalog. Same pages are in Whitney Military TImepieces.

Not to be a jerk (even though I can be), but I have seen corrosion problems with Polychem. Maybe the pieces were not rinsed or cleaned properly, but be sure to test first. And this was early on.

Also, an advantage of Daniels solution is that it is environmentally friendly. It is simply a soap.

8. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would be interested if hearing if others have experienced corrosion with Polychem Deox-007. I've used it for a couple years and so far have not seen that problem. I have seen green corrosion with other cleaners including alcohol and mineral spirits but it seems to happen when and where the brass may not have gotten completely clean and some residual crud was left behind. Has anyone tried La's Totally Awesome Cleaner" from the Dollar Tree? It's a great grease getter and doesn't seem to attack brass but does not contain ammonia and will not brighten brass. I suppose one could add ammonia.

RC

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Been using Deox 007 for about 8 years, i make sure my parts get really dried well in the oven after rinsing them with hot water. I have had no corrosion problems.

10. fbicknel

fbicknel Registered User

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Cumming, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wonder what the "rinsing solution" is of which they speak. It somehow deserves its own 2-gallon container, according to the literature.

11. fbicknel

fbicknel Registered User

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Cumming, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I welcome corrections, as this calculation is off the cuff, but assuming the ammonium hydroxide mentioned in the article is 28% and assuming that clear (no soap) household ammonia is approximately 5% (I see values of 3% to 10%; most seem to settle around 5%), then you could substitute 22 ounces of 5% household ammonia for the 4 ounces of ammonium hydroxide and fill to 1 gallon with distilled water as suggested.

I figure that 22.4 ounces of 5% ammonia is approximately 4 ounces of 28% ammonia and 18.4 ounces of water.

I didn't do any molar calculations and it's been a few years since high school chemistry, but based on volumes and concentrations, I believe this to be accurate.

If your household ammonia is 3%, then go with 37.3 ounces instead of 22. If it's 10%, then use 11.2 ounces of ammonia.

12. fbicknel

fbicknel Registered User

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Cumming, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you would like to make 2L of this instead of 1 gallon, then add 62.5ml of each of the chemicals mentioned and add enough water to make 2L.

To use my household ammonia substitution above instead of ammonium hydroxide (28%), then use 350ml ammonia if it is 5%, 175ml if it is 10%, and 583ml if it is 3%. Fill to 2L as usual in each case.