Howard Tower Clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Kim St.Dennis Sr., Jun 16, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kim St.Dennis Sr.

Kim St.Dennis Sr. Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Mar 20, 2003
    Male
    Clock Restorer
    Los Angeles
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi
    I got the following request from an email, can anyone help with info on this clock.

I am trying to find information on an E Howard No.3 Tower Clock,Westminster chimes that was in the Goodyear building in La. Ser. # 3546.
    This is all the info I have on the clock.
    Any info would be appreciated.

Regards
    Kim in Sunny LA

2. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    what happened to the building it was in? I may have a photo of one, but unless there is a size label, its sometimes guesswork. I think I've looked at more than 100 Howard clocks, and a size number is seldom found.

3. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's what it looked like. Can't tell if its a No. 2, or No. 3

Attached Files:

4. sam

sam Registered User

Dec 13, 2006
    Looks like a No.3 with a lot of parts missing.

Sam

5. sam

sam Registered User

Dec 13, 2006
    Photo Files

Attached Files:

6. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Indeed; it has been electrified. I can't say that I've seen the size cast in the frame before. Of the few with sizes on the clock, usually on a brass placque. Grey color to me suggests earlier production from what I've seen, but no guarantee. Thanks for your photo.

7. sam

sam Registered User

Dec 13, 2006
    I'm trying to find out the history of this clock.
    This is the clock that came out of the old Goodyear building in
    Los Angeles. Not sure what year but the clock was moved and installed in Prestonwood Mall in Dallas in 1978 or 79.
    Would like to know when it was installed in the Goodyear building and
    how it got to LA.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Also any info on the Howard electric auto-wind gearboxes and motors.

Thanks,

Sam

8. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In 1869 the UP and the Central RailRoads meet at Promontory. By 1880, most freight between the East Coast and California is by Rail.

Prior to 1869, most freight was by SEA. This was probably one of the most arduous means of travel one can ever imagine. Around the Tip of South America is one of the most dangerous transits ever imagined. 50 to 60 foot Seas is common for most of the year.

9. Mitch Faubion

Mitch Faubion New Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This is an old topic, but thought I could answer some of the questions conserning the tower clock formerly located in Prestonwood mall, Dallas Texas ---

I was there when they were installing the faces on it in June, 1979. The huge mall was enclosed, but still under construction - Absolute chaos ! The parking lot was dirt, the whole place was a maze of chain link fences and confusion everywhere - I'm looking for a job at a "coming soon" ice skating rink - No signs - and nobody seemed to know what I was talking about ---

It was durring my search that by happenstance, I paused to see workers hanging one of the 4 faces on the tall pipe frame. I don't think they had the mechanism parts installed yet ---

In time I learned the clock (reportedly) cost $100,000, and was originally built in 1915. It had been removed from the Goodyear factory out in L.A., the tower it was in didn't meet earthquake code standards -

It featured a line of tubular brass bells which were struck on the hour/half hour, and played Westminster chimes only on the hour - I eventually worked at the Ice Capades Chalet, quite a distance from it, and could hear it clearly, sometimes even over our powerful sound system !

It was driven by 3 large cylindrical brass weights. On Sundays at 12 noon, the weights were hoisted up by automatic electric winding motors. I also recall that by Saturday afternoons, one could reach up and touch the bottom of those weights ! I think the mechanism was painted black, with polished brass components. The distance between the Cabriole legs was about 4 feet on the long sides.

People would gather 'round to hear it strike/chime, and watch the big brass air governor paddles spin. It was beautiful ---

At some early point, Mall Management had a naming contest - Seems like there was a cash prize involved - and the winner suggested : "D OLD TIMER".

I admired that clock, and upon learning of Prestonwood mall's demise, wondered what became of that great old centerpiece and landmark ---

10. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great post Mitch
    This is just the sort of information some of us are interested in

The Dallas Historical Society Forum has information about what happened to the clock

Prestonwood Mall Clock

Mitch Faubion likes this.
  11. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Mitch and Les, for sharing and for reprising this thread with the stories of the clock's installation and what happened afterward. I haven't found anything that tells how the LA clock might have arrived in Dallas, but did find some pictures of the clock tower at the Akron facility and references to clock towers at other facilities.

If they are E. Howard or Seth Thomas, the original destination and dates should be available in the digital databases. Sounds like a history of this company's tower clocks would make an interesting Bulletin article.

Pictures of the Akron clock tower
    Goodyear Clock Tower - Akron, Ohio - Town Clocks on Waymarking.com
    The Goodyear Clock Tower | Facebook

Picture of their "chimemaster" practicing playing the bells in Akron
    Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company clock tower, Akron, 1975 :: Akron Beacon Journal Photograph Archives

This site shows a picture of the clock tower in LA
    Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, Los Angeles, 1929 | Digital Collections

Story about the Goodyear leader who was credited with the clock towers at several of their facilities
    Goodyear and its Gadsden plant have rich history

Mitch Faubion and Jim DuBois like this.
  12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mitch's post painted a great picture of how nice the re-installation in Dallas was. The link to what most likely happened to the clock when the mall came down made me want to vomit.

13. Mitch Faubion

Mitch Faubion New Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, Les, Pat & Scooter - Sorry for my slow reply --- The links were most interesting and helpful - I needed time to digest the information, which led me in several directions, but that's all part of the fun !

The good news is : The clock is safe ! However, the pipe frame tower and winding motors were lost - They can be replaced, the important parts remain -

Pat, in trying to find an answer to the question : "How did it come to arrive in Dallas," I did learn the developer who built the mall, Erie Hahn, was out in San Diego ---

In rereading my description of the chime part, I need to add/correct : It featured a single tubular bell that was struck on the hour/half hour - The line of tubular chimes was for the Westminster part ---

Thanks again ---

PatH likes this.
  14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 1, 2016
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    PHEW! Okay... That's good news!