Help Howard Miller Lucite clock running too fast

AZemptynesters

Jan 30, 2021
Country
Hi. I’m looking for help with a Howard Miller Lucite clock that I recently purchased. It has a Kieninger P Series cable drive movement. After cleaning and oiling it, the clock is picking up about 5 minutes every 8 hours. The part that has me confused is the pendulum only has about 1/2” of thread to attach the bob. Basically I have no room to move the pendulum down to slow the clock down. I can only assume that the suspension spring, leader, and pendulum are what came with the clock originally. It’s difficult finding information on this clock. I’m attaching two pics. Any help is appreciated.

D31EA405-D4C5-4051-BBC9-AEA4C4862AFF.jpeg B4CAE357-7EC1-4740-9380-A7215DBDB15F.jpeg

AZemptynesters

Jan 30, 2021
Country
Hi. I’m looking for help with a Howard Miller Lucite clock that I recently purchased. It has a Kieninger P Series cable drive movement. After cleaning and oiling it, the clock is picking up about 5 minutes every 8 hours. The part that has me confused is the pendulum only has about 1/2” of thread to attach the bob. Basically I have no room to move the pendulum down to slow the clock down. I can only assume that the suspension spring, leader, and pendulum are what came with the clock originally. It’s difficult finding information on this clock. I’m attaching two pics. Any help is appreciated.

View attachment 652772 View attachment 652773

AZemptynesters

Jan 30, 2021
Country
After reading another thread on this forum, I believe I may have found the problem. It appears that the bottom of the pendulum rod was cut off. I only have about 1/4” of thread available. What is the best way to deal with this condition? Can the rod be extended and additional threads cut into it? Can I cut it above the threads and add a coupler into it? I’m looking for suggestions short of purchasing a new pendulum. Thanks for any help you can provide.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I would cut the existing threaded rod off and make a new threaded rod out of brass rod stock. Then hard solder or braze it onto the existing pendulum. If the threads change, you'll also have to make a new nut for it.
If you try to just extend the existing rod, the soldered portion will probably be in the exact spot you want the nut to be in.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Did you do anything to the escapement, while "cleaning and oiling it"? And, is the rating nut at the very bottom of the threads?

A fast running clock is often due to a misadjusted escapement but if you've never seen the clock run properly, that widens the field considerably. :)

The rating rods do break off, when the pendulum is dropped sometimes, but that should be obvious.

Willie X

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit