• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Howard Miller Grandfather Clock

ssohner

NAWCC Member
Dec 19, 2015
Country
Region
I have a Howard Miller G. F. clock. The hook on top of one of the weights broke in the middle of the night, scared the daylights out of me, and broke the floor board at the bottom of the case. Only dumb luck prevented it from breaking the mirror or the glass panel, which go all the way to the bottom of the case. The hook is made of cheap brass plated pot metal, very disappointing for a brand name clock. I bought it many years ago before I knew any better, and it was not inespensive.

i would like to know if it is possible to identify a part number or a source for the hook from the model and serial number of the clock. I would like to find solid brass replacement hooks because I do not trust the hooks on the other two weights. For the time being I have removed all of the weights.

The steel stud that threads into the weight is M5x0.8

Howard Miller
Mdl. 611-118
S/N MF0070420009

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Just look on Timesavers website and search “weight hook” and you’ll find a few to choose from.

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Hi. I have heard of this sort of thing before. It’s hard to see how this can happen though! Is your clock weight driven on chains or cables? As I recall the weight fillings are in halves. The fillings, brass shells and end caps , are held in place by a metal bar which is threaded at each end. Sometimes the hooks and domes work themselves loose and the weight just falls into the bottom of the clock.
For the hook to break for no reason confuses me though?!

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
I suppose after two or three decades of the clock chiming and striking away, the resulting vibrations could set up stress fractures in the hooks? That and the fact that the weights for the pendulum and chime are heavy , wouldn’t help. Hope you manage to get one soon. They come in two sizes, make sure you get the largest one as you probably have large diameter weights driving your clock.