Howard Miller/Barwick Model 4996

Conner'sClocks

Jan 24, 2021
Country
Well, I don’t know if this is true, but this is supposedly a rare clock. This clock is branded as a howard miller (barwick being a branch of howard miller). I’ve already had some issues that have required me to take the movement out. The chime silence switch had a loose screw causing it to not work. While putting the movement back together, I broke the suspension spring. I had moved in March and have not been able to find the cleaning solution and oil, but before then it ran great (after setting it back in beat).

It needs the suspension spring (now) and eventually a new set of chime rods.

Below is how the clock sounds in Whittington.

I hope y’all like it.

B99AC26C-DE37-4CDA-84CE-5510AB2EF0DD.jpeg F71B363D-55CD-4E84-B938-F6DCBC8B4E1F.jpeg

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
The term "rare" is so misused - it means "one of a kind".

Howard Miller Clock Co. has been mass producing clocks since it was founded in 1940 in Zeeland, MI, and it production really ramped up when it built its new factory in 1965 that has been enlarged many times into an enormous clock producing factory. I toured it a number of years ago with Phil MIller, former sales manager when I researching the company to write an article for NAWCC Watch and Clock Bulletin.

Your clock is a nice shelf clock, however it was produced in significant quantities, so it is not rare. - no production item can be called rare.

Andy

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I agree 'rare' is much misused, but I don't think it means 'one of a kind'. I think that would be 'unique', which is also very much misused. 'Rare', I believe, means something that is not often seen or encountered.

JTD

Conner'sClocks

Jan 24, 2021
Country

Howard Miller Clock Co. has been mass producing clocks since it was founded in 1940 in Zeeland, MI, and it production really ramped up when it built its new factory in 1965 that has been enlarged many times into an enormous clock producing factory. I toured it a number of years ago with Phil MIller, former sales manager when I researching the company to write an article for NAWCC Watch and Clock Bulletin.

Your clock is a nice shelf clock, however it was produced in significant quantities, so it is not rare. - no production item can be called rare.

Andy
Alright, thank you for clearing it up. I was hearing it being considered a bit more uncommon due to it not really being seen outside being sold or one other YouTube video with the model 4996. I can see where this comes from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller