Howard Miller #150 Westminster Clock Issue

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Air Force Retired, Jul 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Air Force Retired

Air Force Retired New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Retired
    Hemet, California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just bought the above clock from a thrift store. Condition if great and it keeps good time. The chimes seem to work as they should, hour, quarter and half hour. The strike is my issue. It will only strike on the half-hour and is striking one hour short of the actual time. I have tried to follow the directions in the manual that came with the clock but it still is not working correctly. I might add that the strike hammers were bent back so it would not strike the rods and I bent them so the clock will now strike. Any help is appreciated.

2. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A picture of this will help a great deal.

3. dad1891

dad1891 Registered User

Feb 28, 2014
    Male
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    May I ask a question to correctly diagnose your problem? What you are saying above is that the clock chimes 8 notes and then strikes one strike short of the actual time. Then 1/2 hour later, the clock chimes 16 notes and does not strike. Is that correct?

4. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sounds like someone has messed with the hands. The hour hand is a slip fit on its shaft, so you can move it to match whatever hour the clock is striking. After that, you can just set the clock normally to the correct time.

I regret to say that I don't understand the problem with the clock only striking on the half-hour. These clocks should strike on the hour, not on the quarters. If the clock goes through the full four-quarter Westminster chime cycle when the minute hand is down at the 6, then someone put the hour hand on incorrectly. The minute hand is on a square shaft, so remove the hand nut (don't lose it) and then remove and replace the minute hand 180 degrees from its original position.

M Kinsler

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Moving the hand as M Kinsler explains should fix the strike issue, but might mess up the chime sequence. Lets start with the hand switch and let us know how it goes.

6. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Once that is done, check it with the hour hand at
    12 and 1 o'clock. This will tell us if there is an issue
    with how it determines the count.
    The hour hand has to be pulled forward to release it.
    The minute hand is usually attached with the nut that you'd
    need to remove.
    Tinker Dwight