• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

howard & davis no. 1, c1850s

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
howard & davis no. 1 regulator wall clock, boston, c. 1849, rosewood-grained case with turned wooden bezel over a 12 1/2-in. painted iron roman numeral dial with seconds bit, hinged waist and base doors with half-round moldings frame the black and gold reverse-painted glasses, signed/die stamped 8-day movement w/deadbeat escapement, maintaining power, geneva stop & regulating assembly. original cast iron weight and pendulum w/ over sized bob, 50" overall. never been refinished. faux rosewood grained cherry frames. the movement has been overhauled and runs great. die stamped movement. 2 original guide posts in the backboard perfectly align/mate with back plate. side clips that stabilze the movement have been relocated over the years during previous servicing. original hands. the frames are original and all numbers match "31." original dial with some in-painting and strengthening to the black in places. bezel has a repaired separation/crack. original tie down/weight/pendulum/cast iron weight. the original bottom glass was cracked and will come with the clock... lee davis matched the throat tablet on an original/wavy glass that looks great. backboard has a shrinkage crack, minor hairline at the bottom of the head. old repair to lower frame at the hinge.

after discussing w several clock dealers general consensus is there’s no way to know for sure but h&d probably made 50 no. 1’s during their 10 yr. run (based on the stamped case parts number #31)… which would put this guy in the mid-1850s. if anyone has more info on h&d production numbers, pls lmk!

hd1_ch.jpg 7.JPG 16.JPG 17.JPG 2.JPG 15.JPG 13.JPG 12.JPG 10.JPG 9.JPG 8.JPG 6.JPG 1.JPG 4.JPG

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Very nice.

The largest of the Howard production banjos, it has quite a presence.

Love the hands they used, too.

RM

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
among all of the pleasures of clock collecting, it still bothers me that clocks can't talk, and that we don't have better records from each manufacturer.

can anyone hazard a guess as to how many of these clock h&d would have made during a given year?

Dick C

Oct 14, 2009
Country
Very nice.

What process and/or chemicals are you using to get all of the components so clean and shiny?

RAK

NAWCC Member
Jun 22, 2004
Beautiful State of Virginia
Country
Region
" can anyone hazard a guess as to how many of these clock h&d would have made during a given year? "

As a collector, I also spend time wondering about the number of clocks made and the number that survive. Sadly, it seems when these companies folded, no one felt the need to save that type of information for posterity.

In the case of your clock I would suggest, without anything at all to back it up, that you clock is probably case number 31 in a run of cases that numbered many 50 or 100 and that at least the cases were as a "lot" and were all made in the same year. As an example; I have a particular "like" for an Adv. clock that used the New Haven "Regulator CC" style case and have quiet a number of them. As it turns out I have two with the same case number which I infer to mean that they just happen to have the same case number from different runs.

I have a friendly disagreement with a fellow collector about a particular Baird clock that advertised a newspaper. He and I both put it in the "fairly rare to downright rare" column having between us seen three examples in a combined 40+ years of watching for Advertising clocks. By blind luck it just so happens that I stumbled on an advertisement that E. P. Baird put in a 1892 magazine that used that company's clock as an example and he stated that they bought 100 of them, and liked them so much they bought 400 more. Talk about blind luck. From that advertisement I believe that at least 500 of these clocks were made. Who knows, it's not impossible that they even bought a few more after the advertisement was printed. Anyway, my friend feels that there is no way that that many of these clocks were made because they are just so rare. He thinks it was Mr. Baird inflating the numbers to get other companies to make large orders. Of course, we will never know, but when I think of the size of the factories of some of these clock companies I can only conclude that they cranked out a lot of clocks each year. Even Baird.

Bob

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
dick - That’s the way clock is coming to me. I have been told by someone else that on occasion they have found the manufacture date engraved inside the maintaining wheels of howards … i may or may not take it apart when i get it since it’s already been serviced.

RAK - I read somewhere that South Thomas was turning out 10,000 clocks a month in 1880, with 800 employees. E Howard made almost 900,000 watches. Howard and Davis were in business for about 10 years but the number one was the big kahuna and cost a lot of money… $70 at a time when the average daily wage was one or two dollars. If we assume they made 100, that would put my clock at around 1850… my thinking is that demand for clocks was peaking around the 1880s, maybe not so much in the 1850s… but don’t have any facts to back that up.

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
Bruce, that is an impressive clock. I'm assuming it is a seconds beating beast, I mean, banjo :)

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
beats seconds, 8" pendulum bob, 13+ lb weight, incredible craftsmanship... as i was setting it up i couldn't help but compare it with the seth thomas regulator 2 that started my clock addiction, and the howard 5 on the wall next to it.... this is a serious level up and (casually) shows it with every tick. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pavlin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller