Howard Customer List Order Numbers

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by pmiddents, Jul 18, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pmiddents

pmiddents Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Retired USN and college teaching
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am attaching a paper linking Howard Customer List (from the digitized Howard records on the NAWCC site) to approximate dates of sale. I would appreciate comments and particularly new information that will contribute to expanding the data base.
    Paul Middents
    Silverdale, WA

Attached Files:

2. Warren Brook

Warren Brook Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is there a correlation between the order number and the serial number? I own a Howard 00, serial number 2766. It is configured to drive two opposing sets of motion works. Previous research has led me to believe it was ordered by the Toronto Sick Children's Hospital in 1925. The current Archivist at Sick Children's Hospital has been unable to locate any record of this clock order or find a photo of a clock installation at the Hospital.

3. pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is no correlation between the order number and the serial number. Your serial no. would be very early for a clock purchased directly from Howard in 1925. It correlates more to the 1908-1912 time frame. I think the serial numbers were assigned when the movement was completed. It could have been in inventory for sometime or purchased from an intermediary. There are 10 Toronto order numbers and several specific Toronto purchasers but nothing points to your clock.

4. Warren Brook

NAWCC Member

May 27, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks pmiddents.

5. Warren Brook

NAWCC Member

May 27, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Paul:

My research in the NAWCC Library took me to the E. Howard Company Records. Under "Series 10 - Customer Lists for Clocks (no date 21mb)" I found the following:

"Sick Childrens Hospital Toronto 24/2463 25/2766 31/5503"

I assumed this meant that 3 clocks had been sold to the Hospital - in 1924 serial #2463, in 1925 serial #2766 and in 1931 serial #5503. As my 00 movement is serial #2766, I dated my movement 1925. Are the numbers in this Howard company ledger actually order numbers instead of clock serial numbers?

Thanks for your assistance.

6. pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The numbers in the Howard Customer Lists are order numbers. I can find no correlation between order numbers and movement serial numbers. The prefix is correlated to approximate dates of sale as described in my attached paper. "24" correlates to June 1904 - Apr 1906; "25" to Apr 1906 - May 1907; "31" to Jul 1913 - Nov 1914.

Your serial number 2766 was probably manufactured sometime around 1910 give or take a few years. Unfortunately we have nothing like the American watch manufacturers serial number lists for Howard products. The highest Howard serial number I am aware of is 4003, associated with an unusual four arbor timepiece somewhat larger than a Model No. 0. This clock probably dates from the 1930"s.

Paul Middents

7. Warren Brook

NAWCC Member

May 27, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks again Paul.