Howard clock, information needed

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by P.Hageman, Aug 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Forensic science
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Hi friends, this weekend I visited a bric a brac shop and on the floor was quite a large American clock. I looked at it and because we don't see that many clocks like this one over here, it took my attention. Now I am home, I wonder if I saw sometning special...... I tryed to find such a clock and it looked much like the one on the picture. I know the lower part with black and gold leaf banding was hinged, the middle part could be taken of when the lower part was open. I think it was quite an old clock and it had "Howard etc etc"on the dial. I also noticed that the brass pendulem bob had quite a large star in the middle which could be seen though the lower tablet. The winding arbor was in the upper part on the rigth side of the dial. Does this ring a bell to someone?? Perhaps I have to go back and ask for it? 314546.jpg

2. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    E. Howard made clocks in these case styles for 100 or more years and they were made in 5 sizes, starting with a #1 as the largest and a #5 as the smallest. The #1 has a seconds beating movement and a meter long pendulum. They are quite collectible by some folks stateside. They have also been reproduced in past years, some being excellent reproductions, others not so much. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=e+howard+banjo+clock+sizes&id=AC7704BF3E9C9EA97B28AE02AB6D9354763653DA&FORM=IQFRBA will show you many photos