Howard clock company Chicago zeppelin

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by clocks55, Nov 1, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. clocks55

clocks55 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2008
    clock repair and antique clock sales
    8 Hillcrest Lane Saratoga Springs NY 12866
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have just acquired an electric clock with an so called electropendulum and a blue glass globe with a tube light in it, in the shape of a zeppelin. It looks about 1930-1940 in age and was made by the Howard clock company in Chicago. It has the propellers etc in pot metal. I can not find this clock or company listed anywhere.

2. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    The Howard clock company of Chicago is one of those obscure clock makers whose name comes to light on the occasion when someone finds one and queries about it.

It is easy to confuse with the prominent E. Howard clock company of Mass. and in addition, the Howard Miller company of Michigan.

We'd like to help identify your Zeppelin clock and would welcome some photos of the clock, the glass tube, the light inside and the "electro-pendulum" as well. I feel certain that with some good photos, our subscribers will fill you in with details on your Howard of Chicago Zeppelin clock.

3. jencan

jencan New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    #3 jencan, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
    Have you figured out the origin of your clock yet?

E. Howard Clock Company:

This clock company was established in 1842. It had offices in Boston, New York and Chicago.
    Edward Howard started in business for himself in 1840. During the 1850s he and a partner started making watches. At this time he moved to Waltham, Mass. In 1857 Edward Howard returned to Roxbury and started another factory known as the E. Howard Clock Company, which is still in operation.

Is there a possibility that you could have found a Howard clock sold form the Chicago office?
    I personally have never come across "Howard clock company" in Chicago, but as you see the
    factory he started in Roxbury, Mass. is the one know as the "E. Howard Clock Company"

-Jen

4. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jen,

There was a different Howard Clock Co. in Chicago, unrelated to E. Howard in Mass. I doubt that E. Howard ever made a zeppelin clock! I have seen occasional listings on eBay of the Chicago Howard electropendulum clocks.

Too bad clocks55 never posted any photos. It sounds like he has an interesting clock.

5. Keith Black

Keith Black New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    #5 Keith Black, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
    I'm new to group and have no idea if posing to this old thread will get back to you folks who replied previously, hopefully it will.
    I'm not a dealer nor do I make a living derived from clocks. I'm just a tinker with a love for old items, clocks being one of them.
    I am the new owner of the afore mentioned Howard Clock Company luminous clock. And as was the previous owner, I'm trying to find out any information possible. But unlike the previous owner I am trying to post pictures so everyone knows exactly what we're dealing with. Please advise as how I go about posting pictures of the clock, pictures of the clock are in "as found condition".
    Thank you for any and all replies............. Keith
    -> posts merged by system <-
    271.jpg
    P8280188 by Minimoe, on Flickr
    272.jpg
    P8280182 by Minimoe, on Flickrthe above is a link to see the picture............ thank God for wives!

6. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    #6 eskmill, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
    Keith and all. The Howard Co. of Chicago is as noted in the threads, was one of those elusive US clock makers that disappeared during WWII and never reappeared.

A Google browse revealed several photos of 1939 and 1940 clocks attributed to the Chicago Howard company. Most interesting is the wording on the back of a patriotic electric clock "made by Howard for the Peace Time Clock Co."

Interestingly is the abbreviated word "Corp" after Howard Clock Corp. This would indicate that at some time, this Howard company was or applied for corporate status with the Illinois Secretary of State. It would be interesting to learn the names of the officers of this elusive corporation.

The inference is that the reference to "Howard" was, I suggest, an attempt to associate the product with the Howard Miller company and or the E. Howard name.

These clocks seem to have a unique device to produce a fake moving pendulum or in the "Peace Time" clock, a waving American flag.

Attached Files:

7. Keith Black

Keith Black New Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Thank you Les for the come back.
    Would you please post the link to the photos you found, I found one, see below;
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1940s-glass-chrome-zeppelin-howard-table

It's a white globe vs the cobalt but it lets me now know there were at least two different styles, also gives me a idea as to what the stand looked like (the one I have is missing the stand) Creating a stand presents a challenge but then what old beat dog doesn't.
    The project at present is everything is apart with some cleaning being taken care of. One of the engines is broken off and no more so I have to make a engine and attach.
    Any input is welcome............ Keith

8. turbofan900

turbofan900 New Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Just bought one on ebay but missing shade. Of course, part of the base broke during shipping but is repairable. Let me know if you still watch this site and I will send a pic of clock and the original ad

9. mxfrank

mxfrank Registered User

Oct 27, 2011
    Found a photo which may help you.

Attached Files:

• zep.jpg
      File size:
      138.9 KB
      Views:
  10. Charles Vesser

Charles Vesser Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    I have had several Howard clocks over the years. Most were Novelty type clocks with interesting designs. The quality of workmanship was near the United Clocks of the eara. I was always more intrested in the design of these clocks and did overlooked the workmanship. Still like them and think they are neat.

11. rlwindle

rlwindle Registered User

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Technical Writer
    Dallas, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 rlwindle, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    I bought a Howard Clock Corporation, The clock is probably from the early 30's a Southwest Art Deco clock and it isn't a self starter and has to be primed to start. Evidently the mechanical swing pendulum was their claim to fame, the pendulum doesn't do anything just swings back and forth, if the pendulum stops the clock isn't running. The shaft that drives the pendulum on this clock was sprung, I worked it back into place and gave it just a touch of oil, plugged it in and off it took. The pendulum apparatus is very primitive. The patent was applied for so no patent number to yield any information,try as I could, I could not find any info about the Howard Clock Corporation.

FRONT.jpg BACK.jpg LEFT SIDE.jpg