Watch Open Howard Center Arbor & Cannon Pinion Needed Please

amilevad

Jun 4, 2020
California
Country
Region
I'm working on lovely E. Howard N with jeweled center arbor and unusual arbor and cannon pinion, and I found that the center arbor was broken. Further investigation in Townsend's book identifies the broken parts on pages 16 and 18 as "209, Arbor, Center, Split shaft, End threaded, Patent 4 Dec 1894" and its mating canon pinion as "252, Cannon Pinion, 10 teeth, threaded, PAT 25 April 1893". These parts are unusual in several ways for Howard designs, not least because the arbor has a square head and the pinion has a square tip (hint that they are meant to unscrew!). The arbor is broken just below where it's threaded, and the stub in the cannon pinion is frozen fast with no way to unscrew it. I would love to find a replacement set of parts, or a donor movement, please!
Thanks,
Dave

IMG_8077.JPG IMG_8078.JPG

amilevad

Jun 4, 2020
California
Country
Region
Is this outfit on the level?
Vintage Time Pieces
I sent them a message and haven’t heard back and haven’t got any acknowledgement for my order. Anybody have experience with them?
Thanks!
Dave

amilevad

Jun 4, 2020
California
Country
Region
I’m happy to report that I managed to remove the stub of the arbor that had broken off inside the cannon pinion. It looks like a previous repair effort attempted to weld the break, gave up and then GLUED the cannon pinion with its arbor fragment to the rest of the arbor, all held in place by the dial. Well, the repair allowed the watch to run, but made future disassembly for service problematic. If I can get the new arbor out of Vintage Time Pieces then I can make this beauty work again!

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
Country
Region
If that is the website of Ray Tyulty, you'll be fine. I once talked to him about that threaded arbor. He said that he has them made in Switzerland, and that they are quality parts that will fix your split-plate movement.

Years ago I purchased a balance staff for a model 21 Hamilton chronometer from Ray, and it worked great. Excellent quality and perfect fit. I don't recall having any issues at all with the order. I'll watch your thread here with interest.

amilevad

Jun 4, 2020
California
Country
Region
If that is the website of Ray Tyulty, you'll be fine. I once talked to him about that threaded arbor. He said that he has them made in Switzerland, and that they are quality parts that will fix your split-plate movement.

Years ago I purchased a balance staff for a model 21 Hamilton chronometer from Ray, and it worked great. Excellent quality and perfect fit. I don't recall having any issues at all with the order. I'll watch your thread here with interest.
Yes, I spoke at some length with Mr. Tyulty and was very impressed with both his knowledge and his friendly, helpful attitude. I am optimistic that we will get my little beauty running again, better than ever!
Thanks,
Dave

Reactions: MrRoundel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlfuller
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre