How would you restore this?

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by davefr, Mar 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. davefr

davefr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Semi Retired Engr. Mgr - Currently Rebuilding Tele
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a really nice Four Seasons advertising clock but the advertising logo has crumbled to nothing. The background needs to be opaque but the lettering is translucent. The panel is textured glass.

Anyone have any ideas how to tackle this? I'm not sure transparency film and a printer would work too well.

Is there any source for submitting a file and getting this professionally printed on the appropriate film?
    P1080438.jpg P1080439.jpg vintage-four-roses-advertising-clock_1_382915afcd03af5a45c837019fb20534.jpg

2. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Would water slide decal paper work?

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks more like there was an insert for the bottom. The electric wires are too visible.

4. davefr

davefr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Semi Retired Engr. Mgr - Currently Rebuilding Tele
    Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I cleaned up an image I found on the internet using Photoshop and then found a company called signs.com that could print it on peel off decal paper. It's more like a plastic film then paper. You activate the decal's backing with water along with the glass it's mounted on and then use a squeegee to smooth out any air bubbles. The water activates an adhesive so it clings to the surface. The white is translucent and the green is opaque. I couldn't be happier!!

P1080443.jpg

PatH likes this.
  5. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice! What you describe is what I've seen described as a water slide decal, although I have been hesitant to try it in my printer. Glad to know there are sources to get it done.