How would you repair broken shaft

rfh11

Dec 13, 2008
Hello,
I recently acquired a French clock. I have read on this site to be careful in assembly and disassembly. I wasn't careful enough. I broke the shaft on the gear that engages the rack and snail for the bell. After looking for 2 days I did find the broken piece. Now the question is how to make the repair if it can be repaired or have a new shaft made. What would you do and how? I look forward to the responses.

Thanks in advance
Randy

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
Oh my.Well the first thing you might want to do is post some pictures.From there i guess we could look at what you have and make some repiar tips.

H/C

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Randy, this is a very advanced repair that you may not be ready for. You could send it out to someone equipped to do the repair properly, to ensure a good result.
David LaBounty is someone often recommended here for such repairs. Contact him here:
http://www.abouttime-clockmaking.com/

rfh11

Dec 13, 2008
Harold,
How would you make the repair? It very easily could be beyond my abilities. If I made a bad attempt the worst that could happen would be the gear would have to be replaced. That is what I am trying to determine. I sent an e-mail to the firm that you suggested. Thanks for your help.

Randy

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
You would need to drill a hole in the arbor, perfectly centered, to install a new pivot. A lathe is required for this work. It will be easier to do this, than find a replacement part that fits perfectly.

Dave B

Banned
Jun 7, 2008
Westminster. MD
Country
French arbors and pivots are HARD! You need a carbide drill bit, and chances of breaking it off in the blind hole are high. That is what Scottie would call a "Nebraska repair job". Unless I was willing to spring for the cost of having a broken carbide bit removed by laser surgery, (and the cost of replacing the drill bit) I'd ship it off to the good Mr. Labounty to work his magic on it.

jeules0

May 26, 2009
Kent, UK
Country
Region
Hello,
I recently acquired a French clock. I have read on this site to be careful in assembly and disassembly. I wasn't careful enough. I broke the shaft on the gear that engages the rack and snail for the bell. After looking for 2 days I did find the broken piece. Now the question is how to make the repair if it can be repaired or have a new shaft made. What would you do and how? I look forward to the responses.

Thanks in advance
Randy
A few weeks ago I posted a problem I had with my mini Lenzkirch springer stopping every 8 hours. It turned out to be a worn pivot. My clockmaker friend cut and drilled it out and inserted a new pivot. The before and after results are shown below. (Sorry about the quality: I have photographed his photographs!)The clock now runs perfectly. Cost GB£35. I wish I had those skills!

Attachments

oldticker

Jan 15, 2005
Birmingham, UK
Country
Region
Depending on where it's broken depends on the repair.

Sometimes you can hard solder the shaft together but other times you may have to drill and refit a new piece.
Ultimately if none of those are feasible, you will have to have the shaft replaced.

Got any pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Appel
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre