How 'undesireable' is this 992B?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Mark UK, Jan 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark UK

Mark UK Registered User

Apr 13, 2015
    Male
    Lincs, UK
    Country Flag:
    I was looking on the infamous auction site for a balance staff when I stumbled upon this 992B, It had 5 mins to run with no serious bids and I picked it up for just over US$100 including post. I've always wanted a 992B, just because, but the prices were always too high for me. I know this has a few cosmetic issues but the movement appears pristine and is accurate. I'm asking the seasoned Hamilton collectors to let me know what they think, is it a 'lemon'?

Canadian style dial is damaged but I like the look and I can make a better repair. Swan neck regulator spring is bent but intact. Movement is for 1949 and the model A case (without shoulders on the crown) would appear to be correct for the date. The case has some brassing to the rear. The chain loop doesn't look to be the same as what i've seen on other model A's but looks to be same as those on the 1953 advert so could be a Hamilton replacement. Anything else that the eagle eyed can spot?
    IMG_4797.JPG IMG_4799.JPG IMG_4800.JPG IMG_4801.JPG IMG_4802.JPG 321868-35fc9ca1b499aea76287dfaf297858eb.jpg

viclip likes this.
  2. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Nicely done! Case and ALL!

The dial can be found for under $100.

This is the time to be a buyer.

musicguy and Tim Fitzgerald like this.
  3. Tim Fitzgerald

Tim Fitzgerald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Oak island North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice find

4. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Regulator whip springs can also be found rather easily for this model. There's a good chance yours is fatigued and will snap if you try to bend it back.

5. Mark UK

Mark UK Registered User

Apr 13, 2015
    Male
    Lincs, UK
    Country Flag:
    I see lots of nice things on the U.S. side of the pond but sellers often charge $30+ for postage for spares which is very off-putting... there are a couple of nice dials on the online site but $50 for Intl. post is too much, add to that the import duties and that puts an end to buying anything other than the sparse offerings in the UK and Europe.

6. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Male
    Scientist
    San Francisco Peninsula
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For $100, I think it's a screaming deal. You'd be hard pressed to get a naked 992B movement for that.

I'd stick with that dial till you can get another enamel Canadian dial.

It's also missing the screw, so I'd guess it was bent outward like that so it wouldn't keep pushing the regulator to one side.

You can probably find a complete regulator whip and screw, but till then I agree don't try to bend this one back

Mark UK likes this.
  7. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    according to movement and case numbers, probably "close enough" though "iF" this was destined for Canada with 24hr dial, it would probably had been cased in a Canadian case.

the bow on that case has been replaced without a doubt. The pins retaining the bow are probably too long and have been rubbing the crown.

I'll parrot the other comments on the whip spring.... IMHO got your money's worth but will require additional $ in the long run.

179 and Mark UK like this.