• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

How to verify Grade and other "discrepancies" - Waltham - U.S. Watch Co.

AceHigh

Sep 20, 2021
Country
Hello, new to this site and to the world of pocket watch restoration...that said I am a long time lover of pocket watches and everything old, the older the better (most of the time) Anyway getting to it, one of my recently acquired pieces is a Waltham U.S. Watch Co. #106097. The Pocket Watch Database says the grade is "P.S. Bartlett" but there is no stampings on the watch that I see to indicate that. The database also suggest that this particular serial number is a "key set" but this movement is a "lever set"
(the database pulled this exact serial, not one "close" to it)
My ask...
1) How can I confirm a grade (the info I have read on different grades match my watch to several grades)
2) Your thoughts on the "lever set" discrepancy.

I will attach photos and I love to learn. Thanks in advance!

IMG_2623.jpg IMG_2629.jpg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I will let others tell you more but this is not a Waltham Watch Co movement(watch) but
a US Watch Co. Sometimes mixed up becaue they both had factories
in Waltham, MA

Welcome to the forum!!!

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: AceHigh and 179

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Also I am moving this thread to the American Pocket Watch section
for best answers.

Rob

Reactions: AceHigh

AceHigh

Sep 20, 2021
Country
Thanks Rob!
Now that you say that, I do remember reading there was a difference. my brain started getting the lines crossed thinking back to the late 1800s early 1900s when the Waltham watch company kept changing names including AWWCo
I’ve read so many different things that some of it definitely just went in and out, haha.

Reactions: musicguy

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
In the past several months I have found at least three ebay listings in which US Watch Co products from the mid-1880s were represented as more desirable Civil War period American Watch Company products from the 1860s. In each case I politely informed the seller of their "mistake," hoping that they would be honest enough to fix it, but in all three instances I was disappointed. If nothing else, my messages deprived them of the excuse that they "didnt know."

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
The watch was made about 1892..

It is lower end watch as it has gilt finish, flat hairspring, jewels are pressed rather than screwed in setting,. I suspect that it has only 11 jewels the dial is probably not jeweled.

Andy Dervan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmeywvu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller