How to use mainspring winder

Modersohn

Nov 15, 2003
Could someone describe how to use a mainspring winder?

I'm trying to practice things before disassembling a watch, and I bought an old mainspring winder.

However, I can't figure out how to use it. I have a mainspring, which I took out of the barrel (maybe this was a mistake, although if you don't, you wouldn't need to rewind it, right?)

It seems that the spring needs to be attached at eacg end to small notches inside the barrel, on the arbor and on the outer rim.

But I have no idea how to go about doing anything with this winder and the spring/barrel.

Maybe this is hard to describe, but could somoene describe how to do it, on a typical one?

thanks, Modersohn

M

Mike Kearney

There are basically two kinds of watch mainspring winders. The larger kind, similar to the kind used by clockmakers, was made by Kendrick and Davis (K&D). You clamp the base in a vise and turn the crank. The other kind is smaller, used with wristwatches, and held in your hands. In both types, you grease the mainspring and wind it into a barrel (the winder comes with several barrels), then transfer it into the barrel of your watch. The barrel you wind the mainspring into has a smaller diameter than the barrel of your watch, so the tool just shoves it out of the smaller barrel and into your watch barrel. The K&D is probably more popular with repairers of pocket watches. The smaller types were made by Watch-Craft, Newall and J. P. Schilling. Don't forget the eye protection.

Here's a really nice pictorial on using the K&D model by NAWCC member John D. Duvall.
http://nawcc-ihc-mb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7576090143/m/3446070753

Thanks, John!

Regards,
Mike

Modersohn

Nov 15, 2003
OMG, nevermind.

Good grief. that's hard.

I think I have some more questions, but I'll have to try a few more times to see what they are.

Thanks, John. I used the wrong size when winding, but I also think I misplaced the mainspring barrel. I used the smaller handheld one, because I think there's a part missing on the K & D one I have. hmmm. Wonder what I can do. It's the part that clamps the winding part in place. wonder if some type of screw or bolt would work.

Thanks again!

Modersohn

Modersohn

Nov 15, 2003
So, John, I just read your Tutorial on using a K & D mainspring winder. See, this is what's so frustrating-- everything is so disseminated-- and there's no index--

but anyway, your Tutorial is Great.

Now if I can find some sort of clamp.

PS- Thanks, Mike. I didn't even see your helpful post-- don't know why mine was the last one-- but you're so great to have suggested it. It was just what I needed.

Thanks so much.

Jessica

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment