How to start a hamilton wheatland mantel clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Joe Ruszala, Sep 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joe Ruszala

Joe Ruszala New Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I recently inherited a Hamilton Wheatland Mantel clock (circa 1985) and do no know how to get it started. All three windings are wound but it does nothing. I rotated it back and forth on both axis and nothing happens. On the bottom of the clock is a plastic tab that looks like it could hold a cord of some sort. Also on the bottom, beneath the chimes, are two slotted screws that look like they could accept wires. The clock came with a key and the instructions on the back plate mention nothing about electric power. What am I missing?

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    May we have pictures of your clock and movement? Someone may be able to discern something to help you. Do you know when this clock was last serviced?

3. Joe Ruszala

Joe Ruszala New Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Attached are views of the face, the movement, and the bottom of the case. My father received this on his retirement...I have no idea if it has ever been serviced.

clock01.JPG clock02.JPG clock03.JPG

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I think the holder on the back that looks like a cord holder was probably to hold the key. Where you say you think wires should go, those are just screws holding the movement (the mechanism) in the case. This is definitely not an electric clock. Have you wound all three winding arbors fully? If you have, then give the little silver wheel a gentle nudge, that may get it started,

But really should have a service.

JTD

6. Joe Ruszala

Joe Ruszala New Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    JTD...Thank you sir. I agree with your comment in regards to holder being used for the key and that the screws simply hold part of the movement. That makes perfect sense. I gave the silver wheel a nudge to the right and it went right back to center and stopped. It didn't even try to start. I understand that it most likely needs to be serviced but, before I do that, I was wondering if there is anything I can do on my own? I'm sure I can remove the movement from the case and replace it without a problem. Can I blow out any dust or add oil to any certain spots that might help? Is it wise for me to try?

7. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Hamilton Wheatland that I acquired had dust blown out with a compressor which blew off the coiled spring from the balance wheel and mangled the fork. So I would not blow out any dust. If your balance wheel is not turning fully even from finger power, that would be the first place to look. Perhaps the fork has been bent? A video of the balance wheel being turned by hand posted to YouTube with a link provided here might help in identifying the problem. On mine, I had to purchase a new balance wheel and fork to get it running again.