How to slow down a gong 30 hr Ingraham

Dietofnothing

Nov 7, 2020
Gilbertsville PA
Country
Hello all. I acquired this 30 hour E. Ingraham & Co 30 hour clock - even seems to have original key. image.jpg

Everything seems working. I’m still disassembling it to at least clean / oil & check bushings.

the question I have is the gong is really fast. All my my other clocks are 8 days - they gong - pause - gong…. Almost like there is a breath between gongs…

This clock goes GONG GONG GONG. I’m guessing this may be normal? For 30 hour American clocks? So, fan is intact in movement & secure. I’m guessing it’s then controlled by strength of spring & diameter of locking wheel?

I’d like to slow it down, unless it was meant to be this way. Any ideas or just leave it?

A37F6D63-A7BA-4392-B85D-0B9587F1FEEE.jpeg FD3E0C65-A41C-43B6-92BA-F8B8F3A780E4.jpeg 89F4D4AD-BAF7-42E4-933B-91EAAF5EA9EA.jpeg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
You can back off on the wind-up a few turns, or replace the spring with a lighter one, or fit a larger fly (if possible). That's about it.

Increasing the hammer tension spring and the hammer stroke will also slow the strike but this action will also shorten the run time, which may, or may not, be an issue.

Willie X

Dietofnothing

Nov 7, 2020
Gilbertsville PA
Country
You can back off on the wind-up a few turns, or replace the spring with a lighter one, or fit a larger fly (if possible). That's about it.

Increasing the hammer tension spring and the hammer stroke will also slow the strike but this action will also shorten the run time, which may, or may not, be an issue.

Willie X
Looks like I may be able to fit a larger fly in there - a little bit. Or, maybe do some soldering & make this one heavier - although I recognize that could cause issues if it’s not “even”. Also, depending how heavy - though could probably stress the strike train. I’ll see what Merrit’s has.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Adding weight to the fly won't change the speed of rotation much, if any. It will be a little slower coming up to speed though. IOWs the 1st and second strike may be a little further apart but from then on it will be about the same. I don't think this is a desirable thing. Curving the tips of the existing fly foward won't make much difference either, unless you make the fly oversize and curve the tips forward just enough for clearance.

I've seen only one 4 vane fly and didn't think to switch it to regular two vane fly for comparison. That would be a good speriment, if you're into seriments? :)

Willie X

Royce

NAWCC Member
Oct 8, 2018
Houston
Country
Region
First, Willie has forgotten more about repairing clocks than I know so take that in consideration. Having said that, I had a similar issue with an American clock and was able to slow down the strike considerably by simply tightening the fly on it's arbor by pressing the strips of the fly against the arbor. This just increased the friction between the fly and the arbor which slowed it down.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't help.

Royce

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
First, Willie has forgotten more about repairing clocks than I know so take that in consideration. Having said that, I had a similar issue with an American clock and was able to slow down the strike considerably by simply tightening the fly on it's arbor by pressing the strips of the fly against the arbor. This just increased the friction between the fly and the arbor which slowed it down.

Worst case scenario, it doesn't help.

Royce
That's usually the problem: tighten, but do not glue or solder, the fly on its shaft. It should be made as tight as the thin brass will allow.

M Kinsler

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The 30 hour OG's are all like that. I think they tried to conserve power usage that way.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I agree with Bugs.

Urgos UW03s strike slow and old
1-Days strike fast. They can help it, 'they're made that way'.

Willie

Dietofnothing

Nov 7, 2020
Gilbertsville PA
Country
Adding weight to the fly won't change the speed of rotation much, if any. It will be a little slower coming up to speed though. IOWs the 1st and second strike may be a little further apart but from then on it will be about the same. I don't think this is a desirable thing. Curving the tips of the existing fly foward won't make much difference either, unless you make the fly oversize and curve the tips forward just enough for clearance.

I've seen only one 4 vane fly and didn't think to switch it to regular two vane fly for comparison. That would be a good speriment, if you're into seriments? :)

Willie X
Sure. That’s def something I think is in my skill set. I think I may leave it though… Depending what it sounds like. I’m currently refinishing the case & the movement is tested & ready to go.

I’ve since watched a bunch of YT videos of 30 hour clocks & it seems like they are all like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rosscoid
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller