Help How to shorten the hammer lift on a 451-050 movement???

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Good Day all!! I was wondering what I would need to do to shorten the hammer lift on the chime side of an Hermle 451-050 movement. The movement has the spring steel dampers vs. hammer tails, I have probably the length of 2 hammer heads for lift. I think if I had about 1 hammer head of lift, I would probably have a little quicker note progression. I just don't know how to get there....Is there adjustment on these types of set-ups?......
Thanks in Advance....
Bob

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Jul 4, 2009
Muscatine, Iowa 52761
Country
Region
The steel dampers need to be straightened out. It is not easy, but the middle of the damper needs to be pried up while the end is held down. It is much easier to accomplish if the hammer assembly is removed. the hammers should be lifting one hammer head length only.

Reactions: Willie X

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Hey Mark...I actually have two 451 m0vements up on the stand. One movement had screws holding the damper assembly on. That was easy to straighten those out on the anvil. It worked like a charm!! The other I straightened them out just the way you described...Again, worked like a charm.
Both movements are lifting one hammer head length only, and the note progression is noticeably faster.....
Thanks for the input Mark, big help, and I learned something new.. It's a GOOD day!!

Best,
Bob
The steel dampers need to be straightened out. It is not easy, but the middle of the damper needs to be pried up while the end is held down. It is much easier to accomplish if the hammer assembly is removed. the hammers should be lifting one hammer head length only.
Hey Mark...I actually have two 451 m0vements up on the stand. One movement had screws holding the damper assembly on. That was easy to straighten those out on the anvil. It worked like a charm!! The other I straightened them out just the way you described...Again, worked like a charm.
Both movements are lifting one hammer head length only, and the note progression is noticeably faster.....
Thanks for the input Mark, big help, and I learned something new.. It's a GOOD day!!

Best,
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ferkor
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-