How to set out a verge escapement for an English bracket clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by NigelW, Mar 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Our Donation Service is back after a brief absence to fix the payment service. Please give it a try! Donate
  1. NigelW

NigelW Registered User

Jan 2, 2015
    London
    Country Flag:
    I would appreciate any guidance on how to set out a verge escapement for an English bracket clock. My copy of Gazeley, which is normally good on these things, isn't very helpful.

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nigel, please explain in more detail what you need help with. Also, please include photos.

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Peter Hageman has done a successful reconversion (PHageman) You might want to look up his thread and speak to him. He also casts his own yellow brass blocks and does his own engraving!

4. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Horologist
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 D.th.munroe, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    I don't know if it would help, I'm not sure how much changed in 50 or 60 years, but I have an un-converted (original) later 1700s verge I could take pictures or measurements. I guess measurements might not help though.
    Dan.

5. NigelW

NigelW Registered User

Jan 2, 2015
    London
    Country Flag:
    My clock would originally have had two verges: one for the going train and another for the alarm. Both are missing but I am close to deriving their likely diameter and tooth count. I am currently modelling the missing parts in a CAD programme (progress is being documented here: 1710 Etherington Table clock with lots of bits missing ) but to finish the design I need to lay out the pallets in relation to the crown wheel and make sure I have the geometry right. My understanding is that crown wheels in these types of clocks did not have undercut teeth but I am not sure either of the shape of the curve on the crown wheel nor the pallet length and the distance of its arbor from the top of the crown wheel teeth.

6. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Horologist
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I do have books on this somewhere. I think shorter pendulum clocks a rake or undercut on the teeth isn't necessary. And the curve is irrelevant as long as the pallet flags dont hit them after the drop off. usually the pallet angles for english brakets was between 90 and 110 degrees. The height of the pallet arbor from the crown and length of the pallets is a bit harder though, cad may help, depending on the tooth counts and the wanted arc of the pendulum. I know the first pallet should just escape as the point of the opposite tooth touches the opposite pallet.

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    John Plews covers this subject well. His book is big on making parts for old English clocks. Willie X

8. NigelW

NigelW Registered User

Jan 2, 2015
    London
    Country Flag:
    I am not familiar with this book and an author search on www.bookfinder.com yielded no horological titles for John Plews, or anyone with that surname. Is it very rare, or am I looking in the wrong place?

9. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nigel,

I just sent you a conversation. I recall an AHS lecture some years ago by Roger Still, (a tutor at West Dean and senior restorer at Carter Marsh in Winchester, who restored the Scott-Cumberland Tompion), who maintained, if I remember correctly, that the ideal flag angle for English verge table clocks was in the region of 70º to 80º, and not the commonly accepted but higher range, (which is perfectly valid in watches).

Regards,

Graham

10. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  11. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Horologist
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah sorry for the bad info. I have wondered about the angles and that, authors have differing theories, those just came from Laurie Penman's Practical Clock Escapments
    I think I'd trust Roger Still more though.

12. NigelW

NigelW Registered User

Jan 2, 2015
    London
    Country Flag:
    I found a copy of Penman's book in my clock club's library. It is very helpful but he does not give much in the way of detailed data on specific clocks and their pallet angles. I think it gives me enough to go on for the time being however.

13. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Nigel,

The Plewes book is a great book to have in your library but it does NOT cover crown wheel escapements. His book is dedicated to pendulum clocks only, from 1700 to 1940. Published by Sterling Publishing Co. Inc. New York 1984,

Penman has about 38 pages dedicated to the subject and is the best source of info I have in my library.

Sorry for the mixup. Willie

14. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Horologist
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In Penman's "The Clock Repairer's Handbook" he has 1 more sentence on the angles of the verges.
    "Verges made before the middle of the 18th century have a wide angle between the two impulse faces of around 110 degrees; more recent verges often have a smaller angle of between 60 and 80 degrees."

15. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The Plewes book title is, 'Repairing and Restoring Pendulum Clocks'. Willie X

16. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a pendulum clock, in the first form of pendulum clock. Does he just start at anchor?

17. D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Horologist
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Seems odd he would exclude the crown wheel.
    This made me curious for myself about the angles of the one I have.
    It's in pretty bad shape and later but still. Pretty sure thats a french crutch on a London clock. lol
    The backs of the flags on this are 110 degrees but the working face is 80 degrees.

15547260218694749728300999707808.jpg

18. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Male
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Somewhere I have some notes about the geometry of the verge setup. Will see if I can find them.

Do you have access to an example to follow? I might be able to photo and measure one which is a similar age if that is required.

Cheers