Mechanical WW How to set date on Seiko 6119?

Tiger88

Aug 31, 2011
California, USA
Country
Region
Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to watch repair. I did work as an appliance technician for 27 years, so I do have a pretty good mechanical aptitude and I'm interested in starting a new hobby.

I've inherited several nice old watches that I'd like to get into shape. I'm starting with a Seiko Series 5 Automatic (6119-7080). The first problem is that I don't know how to set the day and date. I've been doing some research and I believe this is the C model with some kind of a "quick set" feature, but I can't find any detailed instructions. I don't know if it's broken or if I just don't know how to work it.

The watch is also running fast, but I haven't tackled that problem yet. First things first. :)

Tony

MFRC1956

Dec 9, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Country
Region
If I am not very much mistaken you pull the crown to the first position and when you turn the crown clockwise it will change the date, counter clockwise will change the day.
I usually succeed in pulling the crown to the hands setting position as these crowns are so small and the positions are so close, simply push the crown in one step and you should be able to adjust the day/date.

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Some mechanical Seikos that are DATE only use a date setting procedure which requires that you press the crown INWARDS toward the centre of the dial to advance the date. These models require that you press quite vigourously, repeatedly, until you reach the correct date. If you still seek information, Seiko has a site which enables you to find information re: your watch. I don't know the URL.

flynwill

NAWCC Member
Feb 1, 2007
Rolling Hills Estates, CA
flynwill.com
Country
Region
Seiko datasheet for the 6119 is available at cousinsuk.com site:

http://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/3106_Seiko 6119A.pdf

And confirms that it's one of the ones that you push the stem to advance the date as Doug suggests.

First time I had one of these I was puzzled as well until I carefully studied the works under the dial, found the lever that I knew should advance the date, and then finally discovered what moved it.

Tiger88

Aug 31, 2011
California, USA
Country
Region
Thanks for the help guys. You are correct, pressing the crown in does change the day of the month. It has to be pressed harder than I would have expected, but once you know how it works it's not difficult.

It took a little more research, but I finally discovered that pushing even harder also changes the day of the week.

After having run for a few days the watch seems to have settled down and is now keeping accurate time. It's nice when things fix themselves.

So, I cleaned it up and changed the band. It's now a nice piece that I plan on using as my regular day to day watch.

The next projects are another Seiko (which I hope just needs a new battery) and then a Gerard-Perregaux that needs a new crystal. Wish me luck.

Tom Huber

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2000
Indiana PA
Country
Region
I own a model 5, 6119 that I brought back from the far east in 1969. Be advised. These do not wind at all with the crown as other automatic watches do. To get it running, one must shake it to turn the winding rotor.

Tom

Tiger88

Aug 31, 2011
California, USA
Country
Region
Thanks for the info Tom. This watch seems to have some peculiarities, but I do like it very much. The date code on mine puts it around 1970. I inherited this watch from my dad and he was in Viet Nam at that time.

Tony

romanal_8

Sep 5, 2014
I just got my father's one. Sent it to Seiko to repair it and change the glass ( 80 euros) and now it is like new. I put the right date.
My father used it every day, and he had a hardjob, putting tiles in houses, so the watch was in touch with cement water etc... and still like new now super!!!

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
I can attest to the sturdiness of the Seiko autos, I have my fathers which he wore to work, fishing, working on the house, etc. I now wear it while I do everything as well. The day feature finally failed but the date still works well. the only problem it ever had was the screw holding the rotor on fell out and jammed it, just screwed it back on, voila, working again.

Roland Ranfft

Feb 10, 2011
Wildenrath, Germany
www.ranfft.de
Country
Region
Hi Tony,

such features of a movement you almost always find in my archive. So none of the 6119s can be manually wound. But the date mechanism was enhanced from 6119A to 6119C.

In the 6119A and -B the date can be quickset by pushing the crown, but the day is only set by moving the hands 24 hours:
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&a&2uswk&Seiko_6119A
In the 6110C date and day are advanced by pushing the crown. To change the day you just must push the button deeper:
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&a&2uswk&Seiko_6119C

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Old thread but I'll give it a shot. I've got a 6119 that works fine except.... The day won't set properly. It wants to reside in the half day position. ie: between days. Is there any way to correct it without taking the dial off?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimik
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-