How to repaint the numbers on a brass clock dial

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
Hello, I was just curious which paint and/or which technique i should use to go about repainting the numbers on this 1893 seth thomas mantel clock i have. The numbers were originally black. I thought about using a paint sharpie (the one where you shake it up and actual paint comes out of the tip) mostly because of the convenience it would be to apply it using this technique,
but i wasnt sure if that was the best route as i would like it to be relatively durable and as close to original as possible.

thanks,

- Gage robertson
2BAEC76D-B660-475B-96E7-6B188FA646CB.jpeg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
i have one of those sharpies and half the time i get big globs rather than controlled output....

if it were me i'd pull the dial for best accesss and make sure i had plenty of good lighting and magnification... and go really slowly using very small paint brushes (after making sure there's no oil or anything on the surfaces).

also... i was able to restore the fine gold lines on this one using an extra fine tip sharpie and carefully wiping off any that went outside of the recesses using a lint-free wipe and some alcohol.... maybe not the best job, but looks great from more than a couple of feet away... :)

image_3.jpg

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region
i have one of those sharpies and half the time i get big globs rather than controlled output....

if it were me i'd pull the dial for best accesss and make sure i had plenty of good lighting and magnification... and go really slowly using very small paint brushes (after making sure there's no oil or anything on the surfaces).

also... i was able to restore the fine gold lines on this one using an extra fine tip sharpie and carefully wiping off any that went outside of the recesses using a lint-free wipe and some alcohol.... maybe not the best job, but looks great from more than a couple of feet away... :)

View attachment 659434
Looks great! Actually I was already planning on repairing those details using pen ink, using a technique that was suggested to me in another thread. Either way, thanks for your input on the numbers!!
- Gage

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
Country
Region

View attachment 659434
thanks for your advice!! I actually ended up using gold pen ink on a clock oil applicator to get the color back on the face there. I think it looks pretty good!! Still have to do the numbers though!!

- Gage

F1F9B607-E181-4654-9F28-E476E07C7ACB.jpeg

Reactions: Dave T

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
it occurred to me that you could fill in the circles around the numbers with a sharpie and it might look pretty good.... here's a quick-and-dirty photoshop using a dark brown....

F1F9B607-E181-4654-9F28-E476E07C7ACB.jpeg

Reactions: T.Cu and Dave T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockman1965
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller