• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

How to remove stem

bonusbuilt1950

Sep 14, 2022
Country
I got 3 dollar watches and I want to take the movement from a New Haven compensated watch. I know they were cheap watches in their day, not really meant to be repaired. I finally figured out the stem has to be removed to get it out of the case. I'm a newbee and I picked this one to experiment on as my first watch repair. How is the stem removed? I have added 2 pics of where I think I need to get the stem out. I see a piece of "U" shaped metal in the top hole and there is a pin in the lower hole. If I pull the stem up, the pin moves up towards the stem. So does the "U" shape piece you see, Any ideas? look at the pics.
IMG_2664.jpg
IMG_2665.jpg

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
I've never worked on one of these to my memory but the U shaped piece is likely the one to manipulate. It likely, should lift the metal piece nearer to the case edge, so that the stem can be removed? In any case, it will be the one of those two points that has the most scratches. If the stem has ever been removed before, that is.

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
The U-shaped bit sounds like a likely solution.
I don't lnow your exact type of movement but have taken some dollar watches apart and the U-shaped piece was what held the stems.
You should be able to pull it straight out.

jcreamer49

NAWCC Member
Sep 30, 2009
With pliers or heavy tweezers, rotate the little rectangular brass piece next to the hole -- it's riveted to the movement plate at one end. When you've turned the brass piece 90 degrees or so it will uncover a little round hole with a steel pin in it. Turn the movement so it's dial up, and tap or shake it. The pin -- which is part of that U-shaped piece securing the stem -- should pop down through the hole. It may require a bit of encouragement with tweezers. When the pin protrudes far enough, you'll be able to pull the stem out. Reverse the procedure to reintall the stem.

Reactions: roughbarked

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
Trying to lift the detent with tweezers will give you a headache. Spend a couple of minutes to make a little hook like the one shown here and job is easy. -Cort

81D0D9F1-2289-408F-B6F4-B05F16827CB3.jpeg

bonusbuilt1950

Sep 14, 2022
Country
I removed the stem. I actually found a link to this site of Google that went to a posting in 2015. Here's the link. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...stem.125128/&usg=AOvVaw0V9xKPtuxsoa2w3kaig_5b It was very easy once I saw the pics. Someone who goes by "KLC" on this site nailed it. There is a little rectangular block by the upper hole, you rotate it and there's a pin under it. I move the movement sideways a little and you can see what the pin is in. Take a tiny screwdriver and lift up on it. It lifts the pin upward, so you can grab it and lift. The crown and stem fell right out. the actual pin stayed in the watch. What a relief it is to get it out.
IMG_2672.jpg
IMG_2672.jpg
IMG_2673.jpg
IMG_2674.jpg
IMG_2675.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions