German How to remove label?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Diana G., Jun 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Diana G.

Diana G. Registered User

May 18, 2020
    Female
    High School Teacher
    Bowling Green, Kentucky USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening! I am a new hobbyist and have a "new" old clock purchased on eBay. It has quite a few wormholes, especially on the back panel; I plan to treat the whole case with Tim-Bor per advice on another thread. Before treating, I need to remove the label from the back panel. I have a small steamer and thought I would try that first since this technique was reported as successful in a thread of the same title dated March 16, 2011. Exactly how should I proceed? Should I just steam the un-protected label? or cover it with something first?

Mauthe735841.1.jpg Mauthe735841.2.jpg Mauthe735841.3.jpg

2. Jessk09

Jessk09 Registered User

Feb 27, 2020
    Country Flag:
    I would cover it with Saran rap or something. These are wall clocks and you wouldn’t normally look at the back board

3. Jessk09

Jessk09 Registered User

Feb 27, 2020
    Country Flag:
    I could also cover some history of the mauthe brand(1898-1975)

4. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Remove the movement and all ferrous metal before steaming.

Ralph

5. Alex K

Alex K Registered User

Jun 20, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello Diana G.
    Just don't do anything with back side, since it is not visible normally. My advice.
    This label is nice, and best is to leave it on its place untouched.

6. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If I understand correctly, you would like to remove the label before treating the case for worm/insect damage. Is there damage on the back of the case, or is it made of different wood that has not been attacked?

7. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree.

I would not touch the label unless there is current activity (worm holes) on the outside of the backboard.

Regards

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Unless the worms are active, which they may well not be, why treat it? Is there any sign (frass, for example) of active worms? They may be long gone.

JTD

I see new2clocks has said almost the same thing.

Dave T likes this.
  9. Jessk09

Jessk09 Registered User

Feb 27, 2020
    Country Flag:
    When you acquired the clock did the owner (former)mention were it was stored?
    Because I wouldn’t think it was stored outside

10. Jessk09

Jessk09 Registered User

Feb 27, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Can we also get a picture of the full back board?

11. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I don't think anyone suggested it was.

But perhaps I am missing something.

JTD

12. Diana G.

Diana G. Registered User

May 18, 2020
    Female
    High School Teacher
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate the people in the NAWCC so much!

My original plan was to remove the label prior to treating for wood worms. There are several threads here about wood worms, from which I learned that they can lie dormant for up to 3 years. Most of the wormholes are on the back panel, but there are holes in all sides. The wood just inside a few of the holes is lighter in color, which is why I concluded that those holes might be more recent. Of course, "more recent" might just mean 5 years ago instead of 40 years ago. How can you tell? Sometimes, tiny piles of fine, dark brown dust came out as I removed nails and screws.

Maybe the clock was laid on its back on the floor of a garage for many years? The seller did not photograph the back panel at all and probably did not even notice the holes.

Anyway, I tried steaming off a different label on a "practice" clock, and failed miserably-the paper nearly disintegrated from the steam but the glue never released its hold and I nearly ruined the label. Your responses have convinced me to leave the Mauthe label alone and work extremely carefully around it as I treat for the worms. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the blue color is slightly metallic-really quite lovely. I would hate to ruin it.

Here's a picture of a corner of the back panel. I've taken the case all apart and wrapped each piece in a plastic bag until the worm treatment comes in the mail, so I cannot take more photos to show you.

Mauthe735841.6.jpg

Alex K likes this.
  13. Alex K

Alex K Registered User

Jun 20, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am not sure if I am right, but in fact I do have several clock wth whorm holes and I was alswais sure that they are gone long time ago, I even did not try to check)))) since my believe was that 100 and more years old wood is not tasty for whormes in any way. If any have active whormes in such old wood?

14. Diana G.

Diana G. Registered User

May 18, 2020
    Female
    High School Teacher
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good morning, Alex K, welcome to the NAWCC message board. I'm new here, too. To learn more about wood worms, you can search the Forums for threads on that topic. Click on "Forums" at the top of the page, then click "Search Forums" in the drop-down menu. Type in the keyword "worm". Good luck!

jessk09: Do you mean I could make another label outlining the history of the Mauthe clock company and put that on the back, too? Personally, I really enjoy reading such labels on old items, especially if it includes information about the previous owner.

On reviewing my previous post, it seems more likely the clock was stored on its back in an attic. I think the wood has seen dry conditions, not humidity or water.

15. Alex K

Alex K Registered User

Jun 20, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Diana, thank you for welcomes!
    I have already tryed to learn this subject in past. In most cases what I see - there nothing in the wood but some holes, which appeared long time ago when life was harder and when wood was much fresher :). We must be like a doctors for clocks I believe. The treatment must be applyed only when risks from infection higgher then treatment itself. Maybe also wood was already treated in past.... Here better to wait and watch for wood, not much issue if you will start poisoning wood in 1 year from now. But 99.99% you will not need to do that.
    BTW when I am gatting at home new clock from 18-19 century I am really alwais thinking what I can bring with them, I mean bubonic pleague or typhoid or something else. Think of that when you start thinking of peaceful bugs :confused: sorry for this lyrics)))

16. Jessk09

Jessk09 Registered User

Feb 27, 2020
    Country Flag:
    They aren’t that big,they could just be old screw/nail holes

17. Diana G.

Diana G. Registered User

May 18, 2020
    Female
    High School Teacher
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually, I would REALLY rather not poison the wood without watertight evidence that it's necessary. Plan B is now in effect: no poisoning the wood for now and yes keeping a sharp eye out for new, fresh holes.

As for the label, I'll leave it in place on the back and tack some acid-free tissue paper or something over it so it doesn't scrape on the wall.

You have made all the difference to my day. Thank you for your advice!