How to post a picture from your iPad?

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by jwl940, Jun 11, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jwl940

jwl940 Registered User

May 4, 2013
    Field Engineer
    UK West Midlands
    Country Flag:
    Sorry for such a bone question so soon after my arrival but how? Is it possible? I've read the 'how to post...' for PCs and Laptops and it all seems very straight forward but the iPad behaves very differently. I've used the search function and drawn a blank; grateful for a point in the right direction.

Rgds

John

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I have moved this to the Message Board Problems/Comments forum.

4. jwl940

jwl940 Registered User

May 4, 2013
    Field Engineer
    UK West Midlands
    Country Flag:
    Sorry admin, my mistake, I was trying to put up some pics in the Clock Forum and didn't think to put this elsewhere.

Shutterbug, trying your tip now - watch this space

5. jwl940

jwl940 Registered User

May 4, 2013
    Field Engineer
    UK West Midlands
    Country Flag:
    Ah, that was easy just like my UK forums but I read somewhere that the 'other' method is preferred as all photos then remain on the site whereas the Photobucket method relies on me not deleting them from PB for them to stay on the site. Thanks for the handhold however, I'll use PB until told otherwise and apologies again for another noob mistake.

Rgds

John

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We do not have fully integrated support for mobile devices yet. We are planning to implement that in the near future.

In the meantime, you can try ForumRunner from the Android or iPhone app stores that will give you picture uploading support.

It is better to upload pictures to this site than to reference them on Photobucket or some other external site for long term stability. I.e. Photobucket may go away some day and leave ugly little red x's here in place of pictures.

7. jwl940

jwl940 Registered User

May 4, 2013
    Field Engineer
    UK West Midlands
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Tom

I'll give that a go before starting a thread with photos; I know how annoying those LRXs can be. Thanks.

Rgds

John

8. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 doug sinclair, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    image.jpg I have just posted this picture using my iPad. It works the same way on my PC and my laptop. One difference I have found is that dragging a previously posted picture to the area where it can be uploaded, doesn't work the way I expected it should, on the iPad.

9. jwl940

jwl940 Registered User

May 4, 2013
    Field Engineer
    UK West Midlands
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for that Doug. I am guessing you didn't use the forum's Insert Image button so the question is what external (to the Forum) App did you use? My weeks tend to be spent in hotels around the UK and Europe and I haven't had a chance of trying ForumRunner yet as suggested by Tom, hopefully this weekend unless I learn something else.

That is a seriously nice looking movement you've posted but I'll resist the temptation of thread drift by getting into a discussion about it. :)

Rgds

John

10. doug sinclair

NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 doug sinclair, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
    The photo you wish to post must be in the photo files on your iPad. When you start a thread or reply to one into which you want to insert a picture, type your message, then look just below the text screen for GO ADVANCED, and click on it. Now, scroll down until you see MANAGE ATTACHMENTS, and click on it. Look for a drop down, and locate the ADD FILES box and click on it. Look for a drop down that says CHOOSE FILES, and click on it. This will lead you to the photo files on your computer. Locate the file that contains the photo you want to upload, and click on it. Locate the particular photo, and click on it. Look for a box that says either SELECT or UPLOAD and click on it. The photo should appear as a thumbnail on your screen in a second or two. Look for UPLOAD or INSERT IN LINE, and click on one or the other. Then look for an invitation to post your reply. Look for a brief PM about the watch I posted.

Hope this helps.

11. jwl940

jwl940 Registered User

May 4, 2013
    Field Engineer
    UK West Midlands
    Country Flag:
    Does this work? Aha! Doug that's magic, thanks. If Tom is happy for me to use this method then i'm 'good to go'.

Thanks again Doug

Attached Files:

12. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can use any method you like, of course, but I prefer this method.

It should also work ftor a single image if you can see and click on the small icon with a picture of a landscape. It also had the option to load from either your local files or a URL and a checkbox to let you upload whichever it is to this site. If you select to post from your local files, it will always upload, but for a URL it will also allow you to reference it in place on the "foreign" site. ;)

13. doug sinclair

NAWCC Member

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess I have been posting pictures the hard way! I have never explored the "picture" icon just above the message screen. I just now tried it, and it appears that the method eliminates a whole bunch of steps that the method I use involves. In any event, regardless of which method you used, I see you are now posting pictures. Good on ya!

14. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One of the main features of the new software we released a bit over a year ago was improved picture handling. At that time I wrote a farily detailed article on the subject and published it in the article area we call Timely Topics. It will probably need revision with the new release coming this weekend, but it is still largely correct. http://mb.nawcc.org/content.php?9-Picture-Handling

15. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use my iPad frequently on the MB and this thread helped me figure out how to post photos that are in my iPad files. I still cannot figure out how to post photos that are previously posted on the MB which are stored on the MB site files only. Please help me understand. The photo posted came from my iPad photo stream. Thanks, Will

Attached Files:

16. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Posting from the Message Board history is a bit more complicated. You first need to click on the button to put your editor into Advanced Mode. That will show a larger toolbar with a paperclip icon in it. If you click on the paperclip, it will open the Asset Manager that controls your previously posted attachments. It can be a bit difficult to find images there, but they are in chronological order by default.

Once you see an image there, you can drag it into the insertion tray at the bottom of the Asset Manager window. Each thumbnail has a checkbox in its corner. You can check or uncheck those to control which ones will be inserted in-line in your text when you click the button to insert them. Any that are in the tray and not checked will be posted in the attachments box when you submit your post.

You can also access the attachments by using the pink and purple down arrow in the simple editor tool bar. That interface is an add-on and not quite as well designed at the Attachment Manager. However, it will show you pictures of your attachments and allow you to say how you want them inserted. You can insert thumbnails only, or full size only, or a thumbnail linked to a full size image. The confusing bit is that it happens when you click on a picture with no further dialog. So when you close that tool any pictures that you clicked will be sitting there posted in-line. That tool does not put pictures in the attachment box, only in the post.

17. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tom. I did what you said....clicked on "go advanced" and the larger window appeared, but no paper clip. The only thing there is the "post icons" at the bottom of the window. I am using my iPad. Where is the paper clip?

18. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    http://mb.nawcc.org/images/misc/question_icon.gif
    I tried again by holding down a photo in the history photos section and copied it. Then closed that section and went back to this thread and pasted it. Here's what happened.

Obviously it didn't work.

19. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I cannot see your screen, so I will post a picture of mine. In the top row of buttons from left to right.

1. A/A Is the button to change from standard editor to WYSIWYG Editor
    2. AxA is the button to remove all formatting.
    3. Is to paste into the document.
    4. Is to paste into the document from Word (or other Microsoft Office program)
    5. Select the font to use
    6. Select the font size
    7. Select the text color
    8. Insert an emoticon
    9, Paper Clip to invoke the attachment manager

There is what they look like on my screen.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I click on "reply to thread", I only get a blank window with "post icons" at the bottom of the window. Nothing like yours.

21. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The editor was disabled in your profile. I changed it to Standard Editor. Please try again.

22. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    [​IMG]
    Well, it looks like it worked. It only worked with the purple down arrow. I tried with the paper clip and it would not let me drag photos. I tried to copy and paste, but that would not work either. When I clicked on "done", a window asked me to drag photos but they won't drag. Using the purple arrow is fine, though. Thanks, Tom. You are a huge help.
    Will

23. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The paper clip is very useful for attaching something like a PDF file.

24. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Our post editor does not directly support drag and drop. The tools use uploaders where one opens a file selection window on your device and choose the files you want to upload. The vBulletin developers modified the standard editor so much that the newer features such as drag and drop are very difficult to implement.

There is a file selection function on the camera icon and on the paperclip. It is a little old fashioned being about 3 years old at this time, but it is what we have.