• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

How to open clock case - Franklin mint clock

yam kei

May 5, 2016
Country
Hi,
I have a Franklin Mint Aquarian Age Clock.
Now this clock's quartz movement often stops.
So, I have tried to open the case and adjust the quartz movement.
But it is so difficult to open this clock case.
No screw, no holder to open.
How can I open this?
Thank you.
aquarian age.jpg

aquarian age.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I suspect that the globe opens somehow, and the lower movement might be accessible though the top. Just guessing though.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I would have thought the quartz movement might be accessed through the bottom of the clock. Can you remove the base plate?

But I, too, am only guessing.

JTD

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yam,
I think you may need a special movement and some instructions on that one. Your problem could easily be that the complex mechanicals have a problem and the movement is OK. Is the movement from China? If yes, they usually don't last very long and definately suspect.Calling the company is sometimes helpful. Please post back when you get it figured out.
Willie X

Last edited by a moderator:

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I'd vote for going in through the bottom, and that the problem is a corroded battery holder. That's what it usually is in a quartz clock. Tip the clock over, take a picture of the bottom, and send it to this forum. It's also quite possible that there are two or more movements in there, each with its own battery.

Also, tell us what the clock is supposed to do, like, does it sing bird songs or dance around or anything like that? Or does it just run a set of hands and that orrery inside the globe? The more pictures and descriptions you send, the more likely it is that someone here can help.

Nifty clock, though.

M Kinsler

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
It looks like an orrery, so the top mechanical movement should be run from the bottom, although I suppose the orrery part could just be manually operated rather than geared to the movement. Like the others, my guess is to go in through the base

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
If no screws are visible on the bottom they've probably been hidden, as is done in electronic devices. Peel off anything that will peel off, as screw holes are frequently hidden beneath labels and underneath rubber feet. If the manufacturer was kind and upright he'd have left the screws visible and in addition provided tiny arrows molded into the plastic to mark the screws that must be removed to remove the bottom.

Don't pry anything.

M Kinsler

yam kei

May 5, 2016
Country
Hi,
I have a Franklin Mint Aquarian Age Clock.
Now this clock's quartz movement often stops.
So, I have tried to open the case and adjust the quartz movement.
But it is so difficult to open this clock case.
No screw, no holder to open.
How can I open this?
Thank you.
View attachment 411749

View attachment 411748
I opened the bottom sheet, then screw appeared.
I could remove the base!
And I could see the electronic substrate.
Thank you everyone!

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.