How to open a Waltham pocket watch?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by stonemoon, May 8, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stonemoon

stonemoon Guest

Please see www.stonemoon.com/watch.html for pictures of this Waltham pocket watch. The case doesn't have a hinge. How do I find the number etc? I tried unscrewing the back with my palm. I'm afraid to break it, afraid to wind it.

Help
    Louise

2. stonemoon

stonemoon Guest

Please see www.stonemoon.com/watch.html for pictures of this Waltham pocket watch. The case doesn't have a hinge. How do I find the number etc? I tried unscrewing the back with my palm. I'm afraid to break it, afraid to wind it.

Help
    Louise

3. Wes

Wes Registered User

Aug 19, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board!

I can't tell from the last photo. It may be possible that the front and back unscrew where the design is on each side, instead of at the edges like most SB&B cases.

Here is a link to "Opening Pocket Watch Cases" written by fellow NAWCC member Kent Singer.

4. mikeh

mikeh Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 5, 2001
    This looks like a case with inverted threads. I say inverted because I don't want to confuse it with reveresed threads. Whatever you call it, the back screws off just like the front. Since the cover doesn't 'wrap' over the edge as much as a conventional screw back, they can be a little tougher to open sometimes.

Have you tried one of those rubber jar openers? The decoration is part of the back so that should give you a little something to grip.

If all else fails, you can use the find feature and read about some pertty drastic measures taken to open a stubborn case. One I recall involves using superglue to attach a long metal bar to the case back and then acetone to remove the glue. I can't vouch for it, but I just thought I would mention it just in case you want to give it a try.

5. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a number of these cases and can verify that Mike's impression is correct. The back of the body has internal threads and the case back cover has a male thread that screws into it instead of over it. They can be difficult to unscrew because it is difficult to get a good grip on the flat back cover. Sometimes just using the fingertips works better than the palm.

6. stonemoon

stonemoon Guest

Thanks to all who responded.
    I read all info and tried again. Pressed palm really firmly holding case face down against thumb. It gave and I can see inside. Again, thanks for the courage.

Louise

7. Kent

Kent Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Louise:

So .... what is marked on the movement?

8. Albert Fight

Albert Fight Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2001
    IS it a swing out case walthamn made swing out casees that look like the back screw off but didnt Albert

9. stonemoon

stonemoon Guest

Thanks for the interest. It is not a swing out. It just unscrewed at the detail work at the back. It was tight and I worried about forcing it. I put a picture of the insides up on my site if you care to look... www.stonemoon.com/watch.html .

Louise