How to fab up a suspension wire with a half circle to clear hour pipe

John P

NAWCC Member
Sep 17, 2010
North Carolina
Country
Region
Every now and then I must make up a new suspension wire that bends to clear a hour pipe.
I usually mess up one or two wires before I get right, and was hoping you guys might give me a tip, or explain your method.

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Hey David S. Curious about the terminology. I was/am under impression that the latter object/tool is called a "wire jig" but notice you call it a Jib. Just curious.

BLKBEARD

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2016
CT
sailorsandsettlersantiques.com
Country
Region
Probably just a Typo, since the letter "B" & the Letter "G" touch each other on a Keyboard

And since David took the time to post pictures of his tools & method, whether you call it a Jib, a Jig, or a Bench Mount Adjustable Bending Fixture, I think everyone can see the Tool & it's Usefulness.

Last edited:

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
I look for advantages like this in ebay searching of tools. One man's jib is another man's jig. :)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A sharpie mark where the top of the loop needs to be. Make a sharp right angle bend here using regular pliers. Then clamp a length of 5/8" or 3/4" round stock in your vise and make the loop. Then figure out where the second right angle bend needs to be. Finally, true up your loop, so that when you sight down the wire the straight part below the loop is exactly in line with the straight part above the loop.
Usually the loop is slightly more than a half circle, sort of a "D" shape but I have found that half circle is plenty big in nearly all cases.
Willie X

Last edited:

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
For technique, leave the wire straight, and mark the center where it touches the hour cannon. Then clamp a 1/2" gas pipe or similar hard cylinder into your bench vise and center your mark in the center of it. Make your bend, then touch up the upper and lower parts back to straight lines with pliers, a wire bender, or whatever you have. I see I missed posting before Willie. I forgot to save it, and had to use the auto restore feature. For smaller bends, use a smaller pipe :)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Bugs, make your mark at the top, where you want the loop to start. If you center your loop on a mark at the cannon, your loop will end up to high.
Loop on, Willie X

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Bugs, make your mark at the top, where you want the loop to start. If you center your loop on a mark at the cannon, your loop will end up to high.
Loop on, Willie X
The center of the loop will be the center of mark, Willie.

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Shutterbug I think Willie is saying that your method doesn't allow for the extra circumference that is generated by bending a larger circle around the arbor. If I am understanding..perhaps not.

David

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think Willie just likes to make the 90° bend first, then the loop. With that method, he's correct. I make the loop bend first, then the 90° bends afterward. Same result, different approach :)

Last edited by a moderator:

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
Shutterbug - If you mark the wire even with the hour cannon, that is the shortest distance being a straight line. So, if you bend the wire so the mark is in the center of the loop it can no longer be even with the hour cannon since it now follows a crooked path. It would end up higher and no longer even with the hour cannon. I think something is missing in your explanation...? The mark would have to be placed lower than the hour cannon to account for the longer distance of the loop. The question then becomes how much lower should you place the mark?

Tom

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think I see what you're saying, gleber. The bend subtracts length from the total length of the suspension, so the feather would have to be lengthened to make it work. I'm sure there's a math formula there somehow. I have made those things, but don't remember if I had failures in the process. I'll ponder it some more. In the meantime, I retract my advise and bow to what Willie (and you) have advised.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynebernelli
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool