how to DIY a wooden whistle

Grahamclock

Jun 14, 2012
China
Country
Anybody can tell me how to DIY a wooden whistlefor a cuckoo clock ? Thanks very much if able to provide a diagram.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm assuming you want to repair the bellows. You can use this, and there's many other approaches as well that you can find by using the search function.

Attachments

Grahamclock

Jun 14, 2012
China
Country
Dear Shutterbug and Tinker Dwight.Tons of thanks for your warm help.Here I would mean that it is not the bellows but just the flute part - the cuckoo whistle.Dear Tinker Dwight,advance thanks for your drawing for making the flute part. Look forward to your reply. Grahamclock

Grahamclock

Jun 14, 2012
China
Country
Dear lirenrui and Tinker Dwight : Believe me, I am truly grateful for your giving me so much of your time to help me. I was deeply touched by your warm helpful. Best regards! Yours Sincerely, Grahamclock

Grahamclock

Jun 14, 2012
China
Country
I modified my drawing to be a little better fora cuckoo.Tinker Dwight 153459.jpg
Dear Tinker Dwight, Thanks for your drawing. but on its somewhere that I am not very read clearly. According to my understanding of your drawing, I would model a 3d whistle using 3dsMax 2013 and email to you for your appraisal in a few days. Would you like to send me your email address? My email wwiitranslate@gmail.comBest regardsGrahamclock

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Dear Tinker Dwight, Thanks for your drawing. but on its somewhere that I am not very read clearly. According to my understanding of your drawing, I would model a 3d whistle using 3dsMax 2013 and email to you for your appraisal in a few days. Would you like to send me your email address? My email wwiitranslate@gmail.comBest regardsGrahamclock
You can send me a private message by first clicking on my name. If the drawing is in some
CAD tools format, I will not be able to look at it.
Tinker Dwight

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think it would be good to see what you have, Graham. Are you building from scratch? Have a whistle that you need to modify? Can you post a pic or two?

Grahamclock

Jun 14, 2012
China
Country
I think it would be good to see what you have, Graham. Are you building from scratch? Have a whistle that you need to modify? Can you post a pic or two?
I tryed to upload a jpg to you ,but failed.because the proxy server not accepted for doing that.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I tryed to upload a jpg to you ,but failed.because the proxy server not accepted for doing that.
Read this, then try again. There's a size restriction too, so you might have to reduce the size.

Daveleehansen1

Feb 15, 2021
Country
Hello, I was wondering if you had any success in making the whistles? I have a railroad station clock that I am rehabilitating and the whistles don't make a sound. I was hoping I could find a good pattern for whistles so I could replace the old ones.

whistles.jpg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
What do the bellows look like? The whistles themselves may be fine, but you don't have good bellows to operate them.

Daveleehansen1

Feb 15, 2021
Country
What do the bellows look like? The whistles themselves may be fine, but you don't have good bellows to operate them.
I repapered the bellows and they are in good shape. I think it is the whistle tubes. At least the one was compromised by a mud dauber that filled the tube with mud and debris. I did clean the debris of the mud dauber out of the one tube but I am afraid that it may have gotten some material in the channel between the bellows and the flute further restricting the airflow. When I look at the diagram that was connected to this thread I can see that the air channel is also not centered over the plenum. I am going to tinker with them a little and see if I can get any better sound out of them.

Daveleehansen1

Feb 15, 2021
Country
I repapered the bellows and they are in good shape. I think it is the whistle tubes. At least the one was compromised by a mud dauber that filled the tube with mud and debris. I did clean the debris of the mud dauber out of the one tube but I am afraid that it may have gotten some material in the channel between the bellows and the flute further restricting the airflow. When I look at the diagram that was connected to this thread I can see that the air channel is also not centered over the plenum. I am going to tinker with them a little and see if I can get any better sound out of them.
just so you know, I did test the bellows on another set of whistles that I have. They work well with the other whistle tubes.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That would be nice. Original and all. Those toy 4 chamber train whistles you can purchase for not too much money might serve as a model to copy from if you have parts missing.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Whistles aren't easy to make. They have to be nearly perfect to work on a cuckoo clock. Probably best to work with the old whistles there. You can test with a slight puff of air from your mouth. Willie X

Bruce Winchester

Jun 7, 2020
Country
I've wondered if a lower pitch coo coo would sound better, so today I took a shot at making a whistle.
DIsclaimer: this is a quick and dirty prototype and not how I'd do it if I was doing it for real.

Anyway, I eyeballed a few of the cuckoo whistles I have and used my TLAR design program.

I started off with a couple of free rulers and made part of a box. I used hot glue because it was fast and sealed any gaps.

20210217_154844-1.jpg

Then cut a ramp in one end of another piece. It tapers down to .025"

20210217_160408-1.jpg

Glued it on the top of the box.

20210217_160549-1.jpg

Cut a piece that was shorter than the sides by about .030" and glued it in place.

20210217_161246-1.jpg

20210217_161256-1.jpg

Glued in an end cap.

20210217_162017-1.jpg

20210217_162028-1.jpg

Glue on a cap. The air has to go through the hole and is directed to hit the tapered edge.

20210217_162731-1.jpg

I made a bellows out of scrap plywood and painter's coveralls and glued it to the end. I trimmed the end of the whistle so there is no dead air space. The hole in the bellows bottom matches the hole in the whistle top. Also glued a cap on the other end.

20210217_194332-1.jpg

Results? Dang thing works fine. Testing it by hand, of course, but it feels just like my regular ones.

Because of the size the tone is low and it sounds more like an owl. Perfect if I wanted to build a HooHoo clock. I think I'll cut it down and see how volume and tone are effected.

Daveleehansen1

Feb 15, 2021
Country
I've wondered if a lower pitch coo coo would sound better, so today I took a shot at making a whistle.
DIsclaimer: this is a quick and dirty prototype and not how I'd do it if I was doing it for real.

Anyway, I eyeballed a few of the cuckoo whistles I have and used my TLAR design program.

I started off with a couple of free rulers and made part of a box. I used hot glue because it was fast and sealed any gaps.

View attachment 638780

Then cut a ramp in one end of another piece. It tapers down to .025"

View attachment 638781

Glued it on the top of the box.

View attachment 638782

Cut a piece that was shorter than the sides by about .030" and glued it in place.

View attachment 638783

View attachment 638784

Glued in an end cap.

View attachment 638785

View attachment 638786

Glue on a cap. The air has to go through the hole and is directed to hit the tapered edge.

View attachment 638787

I made a bellows out of scrap plywood and painter's coveralls and glued it to the end. I trimmed the end of the whistle so there is no dead air space. The hole in the bellows bottom matches the hole in the whistle top. Also glued a cap on the other end.

View attachment 638788

Results? Dang thing works fine. Testing it by hand, of course, but it feels just like my regular ones.

Because of the size the tone is low and it sounds more like an owl. Perfect if I wanted to build a HooHoo clock. I think I'll cut it down and see how volume and tone are effected.
Thanks for the info Bruce. I’m going to give building tubes myself a shot.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Looks like Bruce is 'on it' there.
I've seen several gigantic cuckoo clocks,
3 to 4 feet tall. They all had big whistles that sounded very nice. The interval was the same but the notes wsre several
tones lower. Willie X

Bruce Winchester

Jun 7, 2020
Country
Thanks, guys. I cut off the end and did some experimenting. It seems like my whistle likes a short, fat column of air rather than a tall , narrow one. With half of the whistle plugged it now sounds like a normal cuckoo whistle.

Reactions: Daveleehansen1

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region

I love owls. This could be really cool. If I get an old messed up cuckoo clock to mess around with, I'm going to try this and call it a "Hooter Clock." Now... what to do for decorations... hmmm......

Bruce Winchester

Jun 7, 2020
Country
I did some more experimenting.

I sanded the ramp to a sharp point. The whistle seemed louder.

I moved the point of the ramp towards the air slot. Killed any sound. Moved it back. Killed it again. So there definitely is a sweet spot about where I had it.

I lowered the ramp point to be centered in the air slot. Killed it. Moved it up and down and found that the top of the air slot should be even with the bottom of the ramp piece. So the air blows down into the chamber and is not "split" by the ramp.

So I had it about as good as it was going to get when I built it, except a sharp point is better than a .025 blunt point.

MuseChaser - I'm looking forward to seeing your Hooter Clock...

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
How are you going to get an owl for the bird? It would look silly with a cuckoo bird and an owl sound :)

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
This afternoon I removed the wedge side of the whistle and added a divider to make two chambers. It worked and now I have two tones and it sounds more like a train whistle. Maybe I'll build a choo-choo clock...

View attachment 639691
Now... To be realistic... Can you build two of them, each with the same pair of pitches... And get th second one to sound for a longer duration.... "Choo Chooooooooo?" :)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Muse,
Did you know, an "Owl Clock" is a real thing. Maybe someone could post a video of an Owl clock. I've only seen one, pretty kool. Willie X

Bruce Winchester

Jun 7, 2020
Country
Now... To be realistic... Can you build two of them, each with the same pair of pitches... And get th second one to sound for a longer duration.... "Choo Chooooooooo?" :)
Building two with the same pitches should be doable. I'd use hardwood, wood glue, and cut/fit each piece precisely.

Now the long choooooo....... I'm thinking that you'd need some other mechanism, maybe run by a third weight. I've only tinkered with the Regula 25 movement. Do other movements have a higher lift capacity, or able to lift greater weights?

Edit: If the second whistle had a longer bellows and the lift rod was attached closer to the hinge so as to lift it wider open then you would get a longer note. Question is could the movement lift it?

Last edited:

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I hope that worked out. Whistles are miserable to make. My father could make just about anything out of wood, but was never able to make a simple song flute that actually whistled. I'm surprised that they don't use plastic for the upper parts of cuckoo whistles nowadays.

M Kinsler

Daveleehansen1

Feb 15, 2021
Country
This afternoon I removed the wedge side of the whistle and added a divider to make two chambers. It worked and now I have two tones and it sounds more like a train whistle. Maybe I'll build a choo-choo clock...

View attachment 639691
I started building one today. We will see how it goes. I’m more thinking of the hoot hoot clock but that sounds pretty cool too

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
That owl clock sounds a bit like a train too :)

Jodie Davis

NAWCC Member
Oct 17, 2017
Country
Bruce, thanks for the play-by-play on building your bellows. Currently we import them, but playing with making our own to see what sounds we can get out of them. This gives us a leg up on that!
RE: Owl bellows. There is such a thing. We used them for our Hickory Flat Cuckoo Clock.

Daveleehansen1

Feb 15, 2021
Country
I wonder if you could tweak the bellow arms to get the two hoots a little closer together, maybe getting a more realistic owl call.

Bruce Winchester

Jun 7, 2020
Country
Hi Jodie,
Glad I could help. Now we just need to come up with the perfect cheap bellows material. I found that painter's overalls are thin and flexible, but are made of two layers that can delaminate. USPS tyvek envelopes are durable but too thick.
Yes, I know that Timesavers sells material, but I'd like to find cheap, widely-available material.
Bruce

Bruce Winchester

Jun 7, 2020
Country
I wonder if you could tweak the bellow arms to get the two hoots a little closer together, maybe getting a more realistic owl call.
Rig it to work like the simple 1/4 hour cuckoo clocks. The left bellow lifts both and hits a trip wire on the second bellow to allow it to close.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The one I remember had a single low tone bellow, I think the air column was folded. No gong. Owl moved out of a large door and simply went Hoooo ... Hoooo ... one Hoooo per hour count. This was not a cuckoo in owl's clothing. Ha

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Hi Jodie,
Glad I could help. Now we just need to come up with the perfect cheap bellows material. I found that painter's overalls are thin and flexible, but are made of two layers that can delaminate. USPS tyvek envelopes are durable but too thick.
Yes, I know that Timesavers sells material, but I'd like to find cheap, widely-available material.
Bruce
A dollar bill works well. Compared to shipping costs, it's cost effective too :)

Daveleehansen1

Feb 15, 2021
Country
A dollar bill works well. Compared to shipping costs, it's cost effective too :)
Hi Jodie,
Bruce
I have to ask, why do you think the USPS tyvek is to thick? I just redid some bellows a while back and they seem fine. I did a horrible job of keeping the base and top of the bellow lined up but I'll get better with practice. The tyvek took a little while to fold and get the fold to take but they work.

Bruce Winchester

Jun 7, 2020
Country
I have to ask, why do you think the USPS tyvek is to thick? I just redid some bellows a while back and they seem fine. I did a horrible job of keeping the base and top of the bellow lined up but I'll get better with practice. The tyvek took a little while to fold and get the fold to take but they work.
It just does not feel as flexible and as compliant as the factory stuff or the painter's coveralls. I haven't used it in an actual clock, so I could be worrying about nothing.

Daveleehansen1

Feb 15, 2021
Country
It just does not feel as flexible and as compliant as the factory stuff or the painter's coveralls. I haven't used it in an actual clock, so I could be worrying about nothing.
Well once I got mine glued on I made my creases as best I could and put the bellow under. 5 lbs weight for a couple days. That set the crease and established a descent resting position. It still stands about a quarter inch off the bottom plate but that doesn’t seem to impact the function. I am sure I could get them to lay flat if I added a little weight.

8EB00845-3959-4E4D-BC24-78BEDE6DC972.jpeg EAD097AB-D123-4D9F-8D91-7A6449F459AE.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Remco
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre