• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

How to Date a Ball Commercial?

Girl59

Oct 31, 2021
Country
Hi, everyone. One of my very first acquisitions is a Ball Commercial, 16s, 17j. I love the look and hardiness of this watch. But when thinking about its vintage nature, I realized a rookie mistake: not knowing when it was made. This is uncharacteristic for me...I must have been pretty excited.

The seller didn't include the watch's estimated production year in the item description...Probably because the movement is Swiss made and has no serial number? Are there any clues on the movement? I just checked the Ball Company section of a 1995 edition of Shugart and found the 17j Garland under "Ball -- Swiss Made," but my watch doesn't have Garland on the dial. Any thoughts?

Ball_Comm_face.jpg Ball_Comm_movement.jpg

Reactions: Kevin W.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
Country
Region
I had a slight memory that this watch may have been made by the Record Watch Co. for Ball. I just verified it in the 2013 Complete Guide. The example says it was from around 1961, making it late in the mechanical RR watch era. According to the index of Swiss makers in the Complete Guide, the "BXC" initials on the balance-cock denote "Ball, Avis, Garland". I may have seen "Garland" on dials before, but I don't recall seeing "Avis", FWIW.

Girl59

Oct 31, 2021
Country
I had a slight memory that this watch may have been made by the Record Watch Co. for Ball. I just verified it in the 2013 Complete Guide. The example says it was from around 1961, making it late in the mechanical RR watch era. According to the index of Swiss makers in the Complete Guide, the "BXC" initials on the balance-cock denote "Ball, Avis, Garland". I may have seen "Garland" on dials before, but I don't recall seeing "Avis", FWIW.
MrRoundel, Thank you! "Record" does appear on the movement, as does BXC. Wonder if I was looking in the wrong book...Mine is "Complete Price Guide to American Watches." Guess I may need to consult "The Complete Guide to American Pocket Watches?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjornburton
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent