how to adjust speed on Cuckoo Clock Mfg. Co. 1050-020 triple-chime movement with balance wheel

kirksan

New User
Aug 3, 2021
Country
I just purchased an old Linden mantel clock from a local flea market. The seller says the clock runs slow but didn't know how to adjust the timing. I've looked for manuals online but couldn't find anything on how to adjust this movement.
I have attached some photos of a similar movement I found online since they show the movement outside of the clock case thus easier to see.
The only difference is mine has a "68" above the manufacturer name whereas the photo has a "70". I have no idea what that number means.
There's a - and + symbol near the top of the back plate but I cannot figure out how to adjust it. I'm sure it's simple but just haven't figured it out.

back.jpg top-back.jpg top-back2.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Look at the top of the balance wheel. Those 3 little flat pointey fingers will move. Slide them round to the right should make your clock go faster and left slower.

Your clock is dirty and over 50 years old. It will need to be disassembled and
overhauled, a lot of work. Or just replace it, if you really like the case.

Two common problems for a slow runner are: something is causing friction (or dragging) within the escapement mechanism, or it's been in the ole ultrasonic cleaner to long, that's what damaged the finish also.

WIllie X

kirksan

New User
Aug 3, 2021
Country
Thanks so much. I should have posted this before I bought the clock!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yep, got yourself a 'project clock' there now ... Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it. Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Linden clocks are not high on my list of quality either.

POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
Look at the top of the balance wheel. Those 3 little flat pointey fingers will move. Slide them round to the right should make your clock go faster and left slower.

Your clock is dirty and over 50 years old. It will need to be disassembled and
overhauled, a lot of work. Or just replace it, if you really like the case.

Two common problems for a slow runner are: something is causing friction (or dragging) within the escapement mechanism, or it's been in the ole ultrasonic cleaner to long, that's what damaged the finish also.

WIllie X
How long should a movement be put in an ultrasonic cleaner for

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
IMOE, the wheels and levers get 6 minutes at room temperature. I do the plates, barrels and springs by hand, using a bristle brush, bamboo peg wood and mineral spirits.

When the wheels and levers are done, rinse in hot tap water, blow off the water with compressed air and dry in a warm place. The parts cleaned in mineral spirits get blown off with compressed air too and all parts end up in the same warm place, usually overnight.

Sometimes I re-rinse all (or some) of the parts, depending on exactly what has to be done.

No need to rush it. A typical American T&S takes around 4 to 5 hours, a typical modern chimer around 6 to 8. This is for actual time spent. I ain't as fast as I used to be. :) Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm more lazy, and my Ultra Sonic runs 40 minute cycles. I don't have to do much to things after that. Coated plates are done by hand though, in Dawn and warm water. I peg the holes with tooth picks. Flat ones are better, if you can find them.

Jaap

Mar 6, 2013
Country
Look for the Jordan thin flat tooth picks in the supermarket. Works fine for me, to peg out holes. Don't let them dry out, they will become brittle.

Reactions: shutterbug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIltonD
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-