• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

How they find you.

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Not sure about that TEA … most of my customers come from ebay and google searches. And now as I’m quite well established, word of mouth.

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
I no longer ask my customers how they found me, but when I did ask, the answer was always Google or Yelp. Now I’m also told that so and so referred them to me.

M.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
you’re mixing apples and oranges… siri is a mac / ios thing. alexa is an amazon thing.

users can set their own default search engines for when they ask their devices for help or info, but the initial default is google. alexa uses bing out of the box.

since you’ve outlasted other shops, just being there is probably good enough… you’re the only game in town for a pretty big area.

that said, others have had success using social media… but there is a learning curve and it does take the right mindset

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
300 mile radius for house calls is HUGE. Roughly 6 hours one way. You'd have to bill pretty high to make that practical. Personally, I would cut that area down by at least 2/3. For me, I'm willing to drive an hour one way, and if the job is a good one I'll often eat the time and expense. For the typical job I bill for the time. It's getting harder to make a living doing clock repair. I'm retired and do it part time to keep me out of trouble.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
I stopped advertising of all sorts many years ago. If I happen to gain a customer via the internet or Howard Miller's web page, that is fine. All of that is a minor part of my business and I cannot justify the expense of promoting my business with advertising. My customer base is strong and I actually have been refusing to take in new work for the last three plus months because I have been overwhelmed with clock repair work.
I believe two important keys to new customers is reputation due to customer service and sound business practices.
I operate in a small community out of my house with another, well respected repair shop in town. One would think the market would be flooded with repairers but we both prosper.
I keep thinking that the trade will sometime begin to dwindle because of trends in timekeeping. Upcoming generations (those with purchasing power) will change batteries in a clock once a year rather than wind it once a week. If the machine cannot be operated with one's thumbs while driving a car, it is not preferred. I have actually been able to cull problem customers and gross sales continue to climb. If a nasty person brings me a fine clock, they both leave.
There are many places selling "widgets, etc." There are far fewer retail outlets offering customer service.
Yes, I am bragging.
D

Last edited:

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
1. Google Maps is huge. It has morphed from mere directions to reviews of businesses. Business owners can even respond to Maps reviews and thank customers. That's a way to put a friendly, human face on what otherwise would be a cold, digital address listing.

My wife and I travel quite a bit, and where ever we go we are continuously asking Google Maps "restaurants near me", "ice cream near me", "pizza near me"... and businesses with 4 and 5 star ratings get the bulk of our spending allowance.

As a business owner, I would not finish reading this post without entering "clock shops near me" to A. make sure your business shows up, and B. make sure your reviews are positive. If you do not show up, or any information is incorrect, anyone with a Google account (Gmail) can submit the corrections. And you can also add photos that support your business description.

2. Facebook seems to have evolved from personal announcements to more commercial type uses. A simple FB page could link prospective customers to your established webpage, or vise versa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavidcham
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-