How remove Rust whell Omega?

nuno

May 1, 2011
Country
Hello again my friends,

Please i need remove a rust on wheel in my Omega. Please do you know how I can remove this?

I friend say put lemon. Do you tink is secure? And have you a similar experience?

Thanks

IMG_20210406_142939.jpg

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
You can try with a fiberglass pencil and then polish the whole ratchet wheel with triple steel wool 000.

Amicalement GG

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Sometimes these rust attacks dig pretty deep into the material and can be difficult to remove all together. Hope you are lucky and have one that is shallow........

Jerry Kieffer

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
May 31, 2005
wisconsin
Country
Skutt50 is correct in regard to rust that very often digs into the metal if not found almost immediately. Personally, the only effective method that I have found to remove all traces of it and stop its progress is with a Paasch Air eraser.
Rather than go into a long explanation, I will provide the following link that explains its use.

https://www.staples.com/Paasche-Aec...MIv_jQp6rq7wIVsTizAB128AnHEAQYBSABEgLXwPD_BwE

I have often used mine on areas only a fraction of the size shown by the OP.

Jerry Kieffer

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Hello again my friends,

Please i need remove a rust on wheel in my Omega. Please do you know how I can remove this?

I friend say put lemon. Do you tink is secure? And have you a similar experience?

Thanks

View attachment 647806
Bear in mind that if you use any kind of abrasive method on your parts the resulting rough finish will probably stick out like a sore thumb against that sunray snailing on the ratchet wheel. Lemon is a mild acid and will chemically etch the surface if left for a time. Coca Cola contains phosphoric acid which will accomplish the same. Tea also has some rust etching acidic properties but will discolour the parts. I imagine lemon and cola will do the same.

If I were you, I'd start by cleaning the parts. You may be surprised what removing the loose top layer of rust will do to the appearance. It looks to me like that movement is due a service in any case.

Regards
Karl

Reactions: DeweyC

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
Bear in mind that if you use any kind of abrasive method on your parts the resulting rough finish will probably stick out like a sore thumb against that sunray snailing on the ratchet wheel. .

Regards
Karl
Spot rust removal is difficult. As Karl makes clear, any abrasive approach is going to impact the finish. On a one-off (meaning you do not have extras of the same thing to test), I would clean and use a scratch brush (fibergalss or brass) or replace. The wheel is likely pitted so the finish issues are kind of moot.

So either grind/polish the whole thing (which will not match the other steel wheels) or replace if the finish is important to you. Archie Perkins gives the recipe for snailing but it is easier to find the wheel in this case.

darrahg

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 22, 2006
Houston
Country
Region
I do the following after cleaning but keep in mind that there will be pitting of various degrees once the rust has been removed I try and leave as much of the original finish as possible regardless of the small amount of pitting.

1. Use Flitz on the end of a tooth pick and gently rub the area while watching TV. Fraying of the tooth pick end once wet with polish will give a better result. I then use Flitz again , rubbing gently, over the entire surface of the part when the task is to my satisfaction.

2. Soak in Vapo-rust and then remove lose particles with a tooth pick. Gently polish as needed.

Both methods have been successful but it takes time and patience.

Reactions: oic55 and viclip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rob aust
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre