How old is this Lenzkirch?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Andrew G., May 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've got this beautiful Lenzkirch grandfather clock. I would appreciate any ideas on how old this clock is.
    On the back side of the dial there are two service dates scratched - 2/11/21 and 3/1/22.
    Thank you!

IMG_001.jpg IMG_002.jpg IMG_003.jpg IMG_004.jpg IMG_006.jpg IMG_007.jpg IMG_008.jpg IMG_009.jpg IMG_012.jpg IMG_014.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    If you use the search icon on this site you will find a great deal about Lenzkirch serial numbers. At least one, possibly two, of the tables available on internet sites have been discredited and there is still a lot of debate as to how these numbers should be related to date of manufacture.

The best can do is to suggest that serial number 1,808,468 was made between 1910-1915, although another table suggests 1916.

Perhaps that will help you a little.

JTD

3. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Hello!
    I recommend this table Post your Lenzkirch clocks here.
    Accuracy is checked by the Russian forum taking into account patents, gift plates, etc.

LenzkirchSerialNumberIndexTable2017_eng.JPG

BR, Tatyana

4. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks JTD! I have checked a few Internet resources before. Tables I found have no consistency, pointing to different years. Based on your references, 1910-1915 makes more sense to me. Thank you.

5. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Tatyana.

Thank you for your reply. I will check Russian forums. The table you attached has very narrowed down serial numbers. According to that the movement was made in 1913.

I found that the cabinet was made in Toronto by John Kay shortly after 1911. All came together now.

BR,
    Andrew.

6. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like the look and it seems to be a quality clock.
    Ron

7. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Ron,
    Yes, they look better in real (condition wise). The previous owner kept the clock clean. The cabinet is sturdy and there are no spots of "dirty" buildups. I do not see any additional layers of shellac or wax there. I am thinking to prepare the cabinet for a layer of shellac (orange or garnet) to bring the original beauty back. The movement already went through an ultrasonic cleaning cycle.
    Andrew.