How not to clean a clock.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Says he's a member of NAWCC! Makes us proud.

J. A. Olson

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
What's his NAWCC ID so we can chew him out for such blasphemy?

:rolleyes:

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
And just think. We have paid for this to be advertised here. Should we really have this advertisement here :???: This is foolish.

H/C

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
There is another advertisement here, this one is a man who is in Ottawa.On his web site he states certified, i would like to know by whom.
To start removing clock parts without letting down the power is a quick trip to disaster.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
And just think. We have paid for this to be advertised here. Should we really have this advertisement here :???: This is foolish.

H/C
Actually, they pay us to advertise, H/C. As I understand it, we have no choices as to which ads google posts. Every time someone opens a link to one of the ads, we are compensated (I don't know how much). Time will tell if it's worth it:whistle:.

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region
Unbelievable... Also I'd sure like to watch him let the springs down with the movement installed. Don't know how he gets to the clicks.

Fred Reiss

NAWCC Member
Apr 27, 2010
Missouri
Country
Region
Shameful!!! He tells you to remove the floating balance and any other plastic parts in step 1. In step 3, he tells you to let down the springs. Anyone trying to follow his advice is going to ruin a movement and/or injur themselves.
He wanted you to click accept so he was compensated for the advice...too bad there wasn't a button for complete idiot.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Well, to be fair, you could remove the floating balance safely without letting down the springs ... but most of the clocks I see are not balance type escapements and I don't see any cautions in his advise. He's setting himself up for a lawsuit, I think.

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Well, to be fair, you could remove the floating balance safely without letting down the springs ... but most of the clocks I see are not balance type escapements and I don't see any cautions in his advise. He's setting himself up for a lawsuit, I think.
I guess I am a bit more concerned that it could damage the reputation of the NAWCC, if someone follows advice in the ads that causes damage to the clock or personal injury. People clicking on the ad my think that this has somehow been vetted by the NAWCC.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I have blocked the group of ads in question. I have also blocked sex, politics and religion. I left video games and weight loss. ;)

Reactions: Robbie Pridgen

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You the man, Tom :)

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Never seen or heard of this site before, but the "advice" should keep a few folk in business! I guess you can easily tell members on there as they'll have fingers and thumbs missing.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
On the site, they require all kinds of impressive credentials! I've copied the requirements. Read through them, but then notice the last line :)

Quoted from http://www.justanswer.com/expert/credential/become_an_expert.aspx:

Am I qualified?

All Experts must complete an application and have their credentials verified.

See Credential Requirements by Category:

• Fellow or Member of the British Horological institute; OR
  • Alternatively,3 years fully examined coursework in horological arts and practices - involving both practical and theoretical exams and trade practice inspections; OR
  • Alternatively, International Expert-Consultant certification by the Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie, OR
  • Alternatively, membership in and certification by any internationally recognized horological institute (i.e. BHI, AWI, FHI, FHS, etc.); OR
  • Alternatively, Certified Master Watchmaker, or Certified Master of the Institute of the American Watchmaker-Clockmaker institute; OR
  • Alternatively, 2+ years of relevant clock- or watch-making employment, or clock- or watch-making repair

Moderators - if this is a 'no no' please delete it :)

hookster

NAWCC Member
Jan 14, 2011
Pottageville Ontario Canada
Country
Region
Is there no way we can remove ads like this, once they are posted? I agree that, if not, it could reflect badly on this NAWCC and this site.

jhe.1973

NAWCC Business
Feb 12, 2011
Arizona, USA
www.jim-haubert.com
Country
Region
Hi Everyone,

A few years ago it was suggested to me that I should become an expert for Ask.com (IIRC).

I went to the site and started to take their "exam" to become qualified. I found that if I got a multiple choice question wrong (in their opinion) all I had to do was hit the back button on my browser, and then answer the same question again.

Guess what! I scored 100%. :excited:

I decided I didn't want my professional name to be connected to such a site and I never returned. :thumbs_down:

As I was learning the Tool & Die trade from my Dad, going back 50 years, he used to say, "You shouldn't have to brag, your workmanship should speak for itself".

I've tried to follow that ever since, so it's always a bit uncomfortable for me to have to blow my own horn on occasion.

I can't agree more with those of you that have already said, perhaps in other threads, that this forum is the best place to get clock/watch related help.

The Internet is one of the most amazing tools to come along in my lifetime, but like any tool it has to used carefully.

The phrase, "Buyer beware" comes to mind.

P.S. Thanks Howard for bringing this our attention.

Last edited:

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
Actually, they pay us to advertise, H/C. As I understand it, we have no choices as to which ads google posts. Every time someone opens a link to one of the ads, we are compensated (I don't know how much). Time will tell if it's worth it:whistle:.
Ok I will word it differently. Our dues helps pay for this site. Why did this embarrassing act land here for us to see it. And a NAWCC member is acting on our behalf. Say he is a member thinking it gives him clout. Difficult to see such and amateur holding such a title of expert. And Time tells allot....

H/C

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
I'm shocked and horrified! I thought everything I read on the internet was true. Well maybe not:) Given this is a new feature and it will take some fine tuning to get it to right. I don't think we should getting wound up (pun intended) about this.

Randy Johnson

Mar 30, 2005
Gadsden, AL
Country
Region
And just when I though I had seen everything. :% That tale my neighbor told me about his daddy dipping a chicken feather in kerosene to clean their clock has now officially been bumped down to #2 on 'the list'. - Randy

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
And just when I though I had seen everything. :% That tale my neighbor told me about his daddy dipping a chicken feather in kerosene to clean their clock has now officially been bumped down to #2 on 'the list'. - Randy
I like to dip the whole chicken in the kerosene, and just let it loose in the case :D

Reactions: Jonas

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Is there no way we can remove ads like this, once they are posted? I agree that, if not, it could reflect badly on this NAWCC and this site.
The offending ad/site URL was banned by Tom, so it no longer shows up. If anyone sees any other problem sites such as this one, please report it here or to any moderator and it will be reviewed for appropriateness.

jhe.1973

NAWCC Business
Feb 12, 2011
Arizona, USA
www.jim-haubert.com
Country
Region
I like to dip the whole chicken in the kerosene, and just let it loose in the case :D
Oh great! Now we're going to get some new threads asking how to remove chicken feathers from a clock movement.

:excited:

R.G.B.

Feb 27, 2009
Vancouver B.C.
Country
Region
Throw in a breeding pair of mice. The mice have a romantic evening and then gather the feathers to use for their nest. The next morning you remove said mice and the nest from the bottom corner of the clock. I'm off to Just Ask now to fill out my C.V.

Reactions: Jonas

Watchfixer

Jun 11, 2011
Country
Region
I despise those ask.com sites and fixya that litter the google's results as I was trying to search for issues especially lesser known problems with electronics.
What happens is I see what exactly I wanted then click those then leads to nothing but wrong answers in theirs.

Cheers, Watchfixer

Robertptn

Jan 27, 2009
I wonder what this guy charges for cleanings when they come to his shop? "Look around, if you see any paint brushes sitting next to Rubbing Alcohol"... RUN!!!

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I guess the problem is that unlike on our forum, you can't post a comment regarding the quality of the advice given. And we don't get paid for our words of wisdom.:whistle:

dAz57

Dec 7, 2011
sydney Australia
Country
Region
or the bit where he says 'dip a lint free cloth in clock oil to apply to the clock'

ummm just use a spray gun, it's quicker ;)

bearzworkshop

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
Country
Region
This one he is using "Salt, Vinegar, and Flour" to clean a Grand Father Clock....
That is a method of removing tarnish from brass and copper pots that I have seen in old books. It has the disadvantage that vinegar and salt makes hydrochloric acid. I strongly disagree with his statement that it will not hurt the brass. Makes the ammonia cleaning arguement here seem quite minor.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Sometimes trying to save money is pretty costly. Imagine paying this character for his advise, and then having to pay for a proper repair anyway. I sure hope the guy is only an internet adviser, and not actually working in the trade!

Len Lataille

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2002
Now when I get calls to look at GF clocks that have stopped, I will know what that white, pasty stuff is, running down the plates. I will also know why the clock looks and smells like a salad with ranch dressing.

Once on a house call, I removed the GF side panel to find yellow goo running down the plates. Little old lady said that she though the clock needed to be lubricated and all she had that was oily/greasy was butter.

:)

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
I have just gotten off the phone with the people at JustAnswer.com. Here is the customer service phone number:888-862-9212. I asked to speak with a supervisor, finally got one, and tried to explain to these people why this guy is no expert. They gave me an email link to send this topic link to, which I did. It is: experts@justanswer.com . Rather than discuss his poor methods on here, I just took action and did something about it. Will you?......................doc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicobirdie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent