How many people collect tall case clocks?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by NECCnut, Mar 10, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NECCnut

NECCnut Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Environmental/education instructor
    Greater Rockford area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In other words, does anyone here have a penchant for, and/or the resources to collect tall case or grandfather/grandmother clocks? Also, is one enough, or can you never have too many tall clocks? Reason I ask is that we have one tall case clock, not an antique, but I am wanting another!:eek: The local antique mall has a very nice Hanson tall case clock made 1910 locally here in Rockford that I would love to have. They are asking $800, which I think is somewhat undervalue, but, of course, is still a significant amount of money.

2. Peter

Peter Registered User

Jan 28, 2010
    Bethlehem, Rural NW CT
    Region Flag:
    If it is in reasonably good condition in relation to the price, go for it. You can't buy a piece of decent furniture for money. Big question, do you have the space for the footprint, and permission to bring it into the house? I have one tall clock on the left of my front door, and a matching space on the right just begging.

-Pete

3. Lynne Gillette

Lynne Gillette Registered User

Aug 28, 2008
    Semi-but mostly retired the past five years. Occas
    In a Tudor Cottage named Squirrelton
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I collect them but I have reached the point where I probably will only buy another if I sell one that I already own. I currently have seven Berks County,Pa. clocks and do not want to end up like some of my friends!
    One has hundreds of clocks in his house, everywhere, even has five in the one bathroom! I don't know how his marraige has survived. It wouldn't surprise me to see them on "Clean House" or one of the other clutter TV shows someday!
    There is one local who at one time had over 30! I don't know if he is still around or if the collection has increased or decreased.
    I have a Daniel Oyster with a complicated dial, Daniel Rose ,John Keim, Two Henry Hahn's one 8 day and one 30 hour,Daniel Christ, and a Conrad Fesig.
    I tried to limit my collecting so that it compliments my small house rather than command it! I don't run them all at the same time as even that small number of clocks striking can be deafening in my place

4. Troy Fasig (Fesig)

Troy Fasig (Fesig) New Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Lynne, would you be willing to send me a photo of your Conrad Fesig? He is family!

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    She hasn't logged on for 5 years.

In answer to the original question, one longcase is never enough.

6. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    One per room isn't enough.

I bet Nick agrees.

Ralph

7. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are four in this room and trying to make space for a fifth. Also a bracket clock.

8. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Time After Time, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
    Yes, we collect them, especially tubular bell models. I guess you either love them or hate them. We currently have 6 Herschedes, but one of them we've sold to another collector that number is down to five as soon as he can pick it up. We also have a Hanson Model 1250. Here is a video of it running through it's "St. John" chime melody: [video=youtube;pvBUf_4q0QI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvBUf_4q0QI[/video]

This particular example was fitted with a Winterhalder Hofmeier 9-tube movement. Hanson was a strong competitor to Herschede but suffered due to war trade embargoes with Germany while Herschede started to manufacture their own movements in the early 20th Century.

Tall Case prices continue to fall and the market may not have hit bottom yet. They're hard to move and take up a lot of space so I think that there's a decreasing amount of interest in them. Be that as it may, we think that they are magnificent clocks with acoustics that you just don't get with other case sizes/styles.

Happy hunting.

p.s. didn't initially notice this is an old thread...but agree whole-heartedly...one will never do.

9. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Region Flag:
    I own three cased Morbiers. I don't consider them properly longcases, but they are as bulky as if they were so...:p

Aitor[​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is 6 too many? Probably not.

11. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    we will end up with ten in the house and the rest in my study out in the garden

12. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Three tall case upstairs and three in my basement shop. I'm open to more if I encounter a decent bargain -- but having three sharing space upstairs with wifey and I, is probably the limit. (According to her assessment of the condition.)

Ray Rice, I remain, for domestic tranquility, in Rifton

13. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had 4 grand father clocks. I have one English made 8 day tall case clock, needs work, one day will get to it.

14. Robert Gift

Robert Gift Registered User

Nov 12, 2012
    Male
    Tree service "Branch Manager". Medical courier
    Denver, Colorado
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 Robert Gift, May 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2017
    (I thought a tall case clock was wall-mounted.)

We have two Ridgeway grandmother clocks. Louise and Diana.
    Hope to find a grandfather clock.

Would also like to have a wall-mounted tall case clock or two or more.

Confucius say: "Clock collector never have enough time."

15. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To my knowledge no wall clock has ever been classified as a tall clock, even though some are that large. Following terms are for the same basic type of clock:

Hall Clock = Tall Case Clock = Grandfather Clock.

I have five, including:

* A Samuel Clare Warrington waisted oak case c. 1760s with an 8-Day time train and 30-Hour strike train, Huygens rope drive with a single lead weight, cast bell. Will run 8 days with strike blocked out, 3-1/2 days with strike working. Square gilt brass dial with spandrels and fake winding arbors, silvered chapter with engraved and wax-filled Roman numbers, seconds and calendar subdials, black hand-made iron beetle & poker hands. Keeps superb time, less than 30 secs per month.

* An unsigned (likely English) movement 8-Day time & strike c. 1776 with cast iron weight drive, cast bell. American veneered mahogany and inlay case, signed and dated but unable to read clearly, believe to be M. Markley. Square gilt brass dial with spandrels, silvered chapter with engraved and wax-filled Roman numbers, seconds subdial and calendar aperture. Black hand-made iron classic hands.

* A Wilson Guisborough waisted tiger oak case with inlay c. 1790, 30-hour Huygens chain drive time and strike movement with single lead weight, cast bell. Large one-piece break-arch painted dial with floral motif in arch and at corners, Roman numbers, hand cut gilt brass filigree style hands.

* A Lenzkirch mahogany round top case standing 8-Day regulator c. 1905, bevel glass door, fully jeweled time only center seconds weight drive movement with maintaining power. One-piece silvered brass dial with engraved and wax-filled Roman numbers, seconds beat pendulum. Timekeeping about the same as the first clock above.

* A Swiss SWA classic mahogany case chain & weight drive 8-Day time & strike with lantern pinion movement, seconds pendulum, large SWA double coil gong c. 1908. 10" diameter round dial with silvered chapter, wax-filled engraved Art Nouveau Arabic numbers. Dial center is engine turned silver with transparent enamel overlay of a large white Swiss cross on Red background encircled by an Edelweiss flower garland. Art Nouveau Spade and Pointer hands. This clock is one of about 800 made on special order by the Swiss government for their embassies and consulates worldwide; this particular clock was assigned to the Shanghai, China consulate and still has its original inventory tag. At some time early in its life a pallet broke and there was a runaway with the clock fully wound, severely damaging the escape and two other gears and bowing the back plate as well as knocking out the bottom of the case. The clock evidently was stored away someplace where it remained until being rescued by a Singapore junk and antiques dealer from whom I acquired it in 1986, completely covered with a thick layer of black crud and missing all the door glass. Fortunately nothing else was missing, the original weights, chains, pendulum, movement, and gong were there. Restoration was a true labor of love, taking over six months since the movement was completely covered with green verdigris and black crud and the gears needed significant work. The happy ending is that all the crud protected the original case finish as well as the dial.

16. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    12 upstairs, 11 downstairs, and 8 in the garage. It's an addiction.

17. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Only 6 tall case clocks for me. Got about 150 wall and mantle clocks though. More than enough me thinks.
    Willie X

18. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Retired General Dentist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John, excellent descriptions but if you happen to have photos it would be great to see them. Some of us need A/V aids. :)

19. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Best I don't get involved in this thread.....but

The correct number of longcase clocks is "n+1" where "n" is the current number of longcase clocks.

This can also be expressed in the alternative form of "d-1" where "d" is the number of clocks at which point your wife (husband) would divorce you.

That said they are ridiculously cheap these days so why not have a few? I have a particular interest in early ones.

Cheers

20. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Trust you to come up with the maths :)

There is another solution, I have two longcase out on loan. Should you reach d-1 Dean you can always leave the odd bracket or longcase in the UK in safe storage. I know the ideal place.

21. DeanT

DeanT Registered User

Mar 22, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can't argue with logic Nick.....

22. Steve Murphy

Steve Murphy Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Sierra Madre, Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #22 Steve Murphy, May 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017
    I have 7, photo is 1910 elite 9 tube, 8 feet 5 inches tall. The chime weight is 35 lbs.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. isgus

isgus Registered User
    Donor

May 26, 2015
    Brampton
    Country Flag:
    ^^^^ WOW

I am speechless

except....WOW

24. laumeg

laumeg Registered User

Jan 22, 2011
    Retired, health care
    Houston, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I will add a little of my story. I got interested in tall clocks about 10yrs ago and I am 75 now. Started late but got really fascinated with one particular clock, the comtoise. I have 7 tall case comtoise, dateing from 1740 to 1900. I prefer the older ones. I have one Scott clock, pre 1840, one English, 1840, Normandy Lantern 1770 (French) and one Saint Nicholas d' Aliermont, (French) case dates 1760s. Origional movement was replace with a Morez, spring wound movement. I think I have enough, but if the right one came along that is different from what I have or really gets my interst, I probably would get it. I have these because of a auction house that imported from France. All of the comtoise and the English clock were purchased for $700.00 or less, most around 500. Most needed some mechanical work but non needed much on the cases. Charles

25. timepast

timepast Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    Mr Murphy. Love the giant Elite GF clock you have posted. I have 3 tubulars and 2 with chime rods. But absolutely no way to get another into the house with the competing wall clocks. And I see Stunning GF clocks go for so little at the auction houses and wish I had the room.

26. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Registered User

Jun 19, 2006
    Currently unemployed - with a degree in Creative W
    St. Petersburg, Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have 7 tall cased clocks, myself.

Two Ridgeways (one from the 1960s, one from the 1980s), a 1912 Gustav Becker, a 1924 Ansonia "Standing No. 10," a 1936 Mühlheim, Müller & Co., a 1911 New Haven "Sheffield," and a cased Foussard fils à Illiers Comtoise clock.

You can never have too many!! :)

John

27. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    #27 brian fisher, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    n+1....lol. i love that.

i'm a total newb here but i want to play.

a picture is worth a bazillion words, so i have included visual aids.

my wife and i have 3 tall clocks with a 4th on the way.

first is an 1850-1860 comtoise that we picked up from a garage sale. it was a basket case, but i completely cleaned and rebuilt the movement, re-glued the cabinet doors in a couple places, cleaned the repouse and pendulum, etc, it keeps great time. its one of the prettiest morbier's in my opinion. all of the paint on the facade is original and in really good shape.

the clock on the left is a mora style called a friksdhal. it has a date painted inside the cabinet of 1838. i also restored this clock as well. it has several new bushings in the moment as well as being cleaned, adjusted, and lubed. i did have to fix a couple cabinet door issues.

[​IMG]

next up is a typical german round face from the 20's. originally a gustav becker 2 weight movement. when i bought this clock it was missing the weights and pendulum. i removed the movement and installed my hans winterhalder 3 weight cable movement. i started a thread about it on this forum a few months ago. i completely rebuilt this movement too. it works great, sounds beautiful, and keeps dead accurate time. i still need to replace the bushings around the winding arbors. i'll get to that one day. i have been slowly collecting gustav becker parts and will eventually put the original movement back in the cabinet. the winterhalder will go in some other cabinet that i will either build myself or simply have not crossed paths with yet.

[​IMG]

last but not least, i decided it was time to step up to the plate and run with the big boyz. i purchased this clock about a week ago. it is a hershede cabinet with a charles jaques designed 11 tube elite movement. this clock needs total restoration. it seems to keep good time but everything needs to be taken apart, cleaned, adjusted, a few bushings replaced, and all the stuff that goes along with rehabbing a 90+ year old clock as complicated as this one.

[​IMG]

one more pic so you guys know that i ain't playin' and have done my research.

[​IMG]

i am just beside myself with excitement and can't wait for this guy to arrive at my door step next month.

and yes...as others have said, we are starting to run out of space but there are a couple other clocks we have our eyes on. perhaps a Massachusetts style early 1800's clock....another herschede-maybe a model 250, maybe an elite/jacques 13 tube......perhaps a scottish 1800's round face.......who knows...... any clock we do buy will be something built before 1930 unless its a herschede.

half the fun is the hunt. the other half is the restoration.

as others have said, old clocks are dirt cheap right now. this is the time to jump on the band wagon if you are so inclined.

28. MikeBY

MikeBY Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok.. I'm in for 4 and one more I'm contemplating.
    The first is a modern H-M Seville triple chime. It sits in the entryway and was the first clock I bought, before I really got involved collecting or repairing clocks. Good thing I paid less than 1/2 what they are selling for now, and that was 12 years ago.
    The second is c. 1760 Thomas Phippard longcase. The movement is ready, I'm working on the case as time permits (which hasn't been much)
    The third is a grandmother clock 1day single weight bell strike painted dial. late 1700's working, it sits near the door
    The 4th is a german round dial from the early 20's with star of david on the base. Running, still needs beveled glass and a few minor case touch-ups.

Just about out of room for longcase clocks.. but I particularly want a tubular chime clock. I simply love the sound of the chimes. There is one I'm looking at, but don't have $ to spend right now. I saw a Kuempel 8 tube go at auction for a stupid low price, and I'm sorry I missed that auction. It wasn't local, but still... LOL Market is basically dead here in SoCal. They just don't sell... I don't think the price is even the issue. I know someone looking to sell another 18c clock. Japanned case, which is lovely, and I know it would flank the Phippard very nicely, but... running out of room and how many 18 century clocks is enough? There's yet another that's been on the market over a year.. it's local.. restored and.. how many 18c clocks are enough again..? N+1 ??

If I get #5, that'll be the last that will fit in the house and one of the others will really need to go but HOW do I find them a home?

I so wish there was SOME market.. I'd love to buy the two 18c clocks and the tubular chime clock, and sell off the German and the modern H-M, to upgrade my collection to 3 18c clocks and one tubular chime clock, but I'm afraid they won't sell!!

29. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Go 17th century, you know you want to :)

30. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have 7, but you are so right Nick. I just missed a CL bargain on an 18th century one to another forum member, so I'm looking.

First one I got is an Emperor my father- in-law and I built from a kit in the 80s. We got it when he passed and it's the one clock my wife won't part with. Most recent one is an early 19th century tall case I recently posted in the New Acquisitions section.

Currently looking for n+1...

Tom

31. MikeBY

MikeBY Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I haven't seen a 17th century clock on CL in my area, but the 18th century ones come up fairly regularly, and stay out there for quite awhile.

32. NECCnut

NECCnut Registered User

Dec 17, 2009
    Environmental/education instructor
    Greater Rockford area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow, this thread is still going strong after 7 years!

33. P.Hageman

P.Hageman Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Country Flag:
    Next to my collection of hook and spike clocks en bracket clocks,I have a "few" :)excited:) although my wife thinks there are more. Last week of september I will start buidling an outbuilding next to my workplace in the garden especially for my clockcollection so I can give them the space they require. And I can spend some time sitting there and enjoy. There's just to little space in the house :screwball:

34. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found my n+1! No, wait, now it's my nth one. Oh well, back to looking...

It is also my first tubular chimes, so I am excited about that. Posted here http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?144688-Fluehr-s-Branded-Colonial-I387

Tom

35. Time for tea

Time for tea Registered User

Feb 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
  36. Time for tea

Time for tea Registered User

Feb 16, 2017
    Country Flag:
  37. Peter

Peter Registered User

Jan 28, 2010
    Bethlehem, Rural NW CT
    Region Flag:
    I still only have one tall case floor clock, however I have 5 wall mount master clocks with seconds pendulum. Standard Electric, Synchronome, IBM x2, Bohmeyer (Germany).

-Pete

38. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    one more new one

99paNR.jpg

probably should stop pretty soon. it was such a steal...i just couldn't resist.

39. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Mr. John Hubby,
    Over the last week I have been trying to get to grips with this new program-and has it happens I came accross quite a few of your threads while looking for Gustav Becker. This thread I think is the
    right place to put my question to you. The photographs below are of a Becker clock that to say the least is out of the ordinary-I think. The cabinet it stands on makes it look like a Tall clock -which it`s not,
    I would call it a bracket clock-though a bracket for this 25KG monster as yet to be made. These photographs are before the resuration- it should soon be finnished. If possable I would like your oppinion?
    There is no number on the clock-only GB on the gong support. There is a small brass plaque on the dial- but that must have been added later-its for an english maker nemed Green fron the 19th century.

Regards,

Allan C. Purcell
    277655-41adde5bfd334d2bd81cc2d053dfc5e7.jpg
    277658-7352dd9291069bbc269da965454a39da.jpg
    277656-d6845e065617110f847edb9ca289dc4d.jpg

IMG_1505.JPG IMG_1524.JPG IMG_1521.JPG IMG_1521.JPG

40. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a bracket clock, they are named after the brackets, though they stood on pedestals, brackets, mantels or furniture. I only have one (at the moment) it stands on a piece of furniture.

41. Ralph

Ralph Registered User

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Speaking of collecting longcase clocks, I attended a 3 day auction this past weekend in Ohio, where they sold off the remains of a clock collection. There were 100's of long cases sold. Mostly English... a lot of 30 hour English and many wood works American clocks. There were plenty of 8 day longcase clocks, brass dial , white dial, etc.... and hundreds of other clocks. Many stray longcase movements,some automata, brass, white dial, and parts, parts, parts... were also sold. The previous Sunday, they sold, I believe 88 longcase clocks and more.

The owner, Tom Spittler, is/was a prominent long time collector, a Bulletin author, Answer Box responder, book author and contributor to Clocks magazine. It was sad to see all of his clocks dispersed, but they find will new homes and the cycle will continue.

Tom's collection was one of a kind and may never be replicated in size and scope.

The clock community has his past efforts and contributions and will continue to remember him by.

Our best and warm regards go out to him and his family during these trying times.

Regards, Ralph

DeanT likes this.
  42. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I looked at the catalogue, some fascinating clocks there, my favourite was a really strange gravity driven key wound clock by a Mr Page, I have no idea what duration.

43. Ralph

Ralph Registered User

Jan 22, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Nick, the 3 day auction was listed at auctionzip.com. Not a lot of detail or results.

Ralph

44. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think Dean said it went for $1800

45. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Nick,
    I know what kind of clock it is-I was hoping to get information like when it was made-why did becker make a triple fusee clock-could this be a one off-or a display clock. Was it made for the UK or USA market.Is it
    a clock you would like in your home Nick??
    Regards,

Allan
    PS. Did you look at the clock at Lords cricket ground??

46. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a policy of no gongs, generally I like early clocks but I quite like regency bracket clocks especially ebonised cases. This is much too late for me I'm afraid.

I was already familiar with the case style on the Lords one, I had seen a verge in the same case not long before, though I think it is a case style that was around a while. I prefer the more architectural styles.

47. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Nick- Sorry the Becker is of little interest for you-the thing is you can buy three maybe four of those regency clocks for the price of the Becker above.Tell me do you like pre 1800
    or will up to 1830 do. Let me know and I will send you some Photographs.Keep a place free on the mantel.
    Regards,

Allan.

48. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I prefer verge, I only have one bracket clock which is about 1750, I would like a W&M one, I like the style and small size but they cost a lot.

My longcases go back to pre 1700 but only just, I have a few around there, I would like a bracket that did too. My dial clocks are later, 1800 and 1850. I would like a silvered dial one with mock pendulum and verge.

I'm always tempted by a local clock though and will accept much later dates for those. Just chasing one made a mile and a half away. I collect local signature watches too, but the clocks were actually made locally.