How many days should these two clocks suppose run?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Chris9999, Jun 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris9999

Chris9999 Registered User

Jun 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Is anyone knows about these two clocks how many days it suppose run? The black one is running for 11 days, and gold one is running for 10 days now. And both are still running now! I have searched online, and both should run for 8 days. I'm bit confused.

IMG_6245.jpeg IMG_6248.jpeg

2. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Afaik it isn't uncommon for 8 days clocks to run for a few days beyond that or they could be 14 day, time will tell.

3. Chris9999

Jun 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes, I'll see. But both are 8 days movement which I found it on their website. That's why I got confused. I'm not sure these two companies had ever made 14 day clock on that style? Hope someone here knows about it.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Yes, they run for 8 days, which is what the manufacturer says, but if it runs a bit over, no one can complain. You wouldn't like it if it didn't run the full 8 days, would you?

As Jonathan says, it is quite common for clocks to run longer than the 'promised' number of days. Bonus!

JTD

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As the others said, it's not unusual that 8 day clocks run for almost two weeks. You may notice that they start losing time after 8 or 10 days.

Uhralt

6. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is also not unusual for repairers to cut bits off the mainspring in order to repair end hook issues without much noticeable change in performance.

7. Chris9999

Jun 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for all the info. And I'm learning every day from here. Thanks all again.

8. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, Chris!

I think you will find that "8 Days" actually means "At least 8 days," and "30 hours" means "At least 30 hours," etc. It does not mean that the clock will stop if run beyond that limit. The choice of 8 days and 30 hours has to do with the idea that you might not wind the clock at exactly the same time in every period. So, If you typically wind once a week, 8 days will give you a day's cushion if you're late getting to the task. If you wind every day, 30 hours will give you 6 hour's cushion if you're late.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

9. Chris9999

Jun 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Tim
    Thanks for your info. The black clock has stopped this evening, just a few minutes passed 9 o'clock. It gives me 4 more days to winding up the clock. The gold one is running 11 days now. And it is still running so far. I guess it might stop any time now. It is great that both clocks are giving me about 50% extra days to run.

Regards
    Chris