How is business for all you clock dealers and repairers?

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Hi Chaps,
Just a quick enquiry wondering how business is for all you clock dealers and clock repairers?
Thanks. It'd be good to hear from you all :)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm just getting my business running again in a new State, so don't really have a feel for how it's going to go yet.

Reactions: NEW65

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Thanks everyone.
Since Covid struck my business has been up and down. At the moment lots of folks in the U.K. are holidaying in the U.K.and probably in large numbers as no one went away last year!
Hopefully when things return back to normal (whatever normal is now!), work will improve again.
I am involved in sales (I repair /overhaul all movements in clocks before they leave the shop) but for those of us just involved in general clock repairs I would think business would be more consistent.
I do take on a few (external ) clock repairs , mainly weight driven movements , but some of these older badly worn movements can take up hours and hours of my time (some needing a complete overhaul!) and most folks just don’t want to pay! I therefore finish up behind on my work.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I get repair calls almost every day. I stay as busy as I let myself be repairing. Selling is a different story. I have about 30 clocks that I need to sell. I plan to try to sell some at a big sale in October. There is not much interest in my area in buying clocks. I sell about one a month from my shop.

Reactions: Jmeechie and NEW65

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
Business has been steady and slowly picking up. Clock sales are really off.
Funny thing is eBay and the internet sales sites seem to be jumping atm?
Cheers,
James

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have enough customers clocks to work on, unfortunately so many things going on in my life little time to work on them.

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
I have enough customers clocks to work on, unfortunately so many things going on in my life little time to work on them.
I know what you mean Kevin, I’m in a similar boat to you; I just don’t have enough time to get the clocks done. Some days I only manage a few hours!

Reactions: Kevin W.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
The plus side to being a bit quite is that you can do a few of the many clocks you own that have been waiting for years to get some attention! Spent all of last week doing 2 French black marble clocks cases (25kg and 30kg each) sanding out pitting marks in one and bleaching in the other, now I know why some use that Slate black stuff as an easy fix.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
One way I found to make things better is to limit the kind of clocks I take in. I decided to stop taking in stress causing clocks (for me). I don’t do cuckoos, 400 days, electric, or battery/quartz clocks and I do not do clocks for people if they are in a hurry. I stay as busy as I want just doing other wind-up clocks.

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
This week only five clocks came in. One is a call back. It has a broken gathering pallet pin on the rack, but it will clog the shop up a bit. Some weeks only a couple of clocks come in, but there is always something on the bench. Throughout life, God has been good to me.

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
One way I found to make things better is to limit the kind of clocks I take in. I decided to stop taking in stress causing clocks (for me). I don’t do cuckoos, 400 days, electric, or battery/quartz clocks and I do not do clocks for people if they are in a hurry. I stay as busy as I want just doing other wind-up clocks.
Yes I like how you operate wow. As you say some clocks come with a load of stress attached and like you, I just take the ones I’m more familiar with.
As I buy and sell floor clocks I mainly focus on working on my own clocks and don’t usually take in any ‘outside’ clock repairs as I have enough to do.
I am well established here in U.K. and normally do quite well, it’s only since Covid struck that things haven’t been good!
Hopefully things will improve soon.

Ron Roberts

NAWCC Member
May 14, 2019
I am like WOW. I no longer do cuckoos or 400-day clocks. Cuckoos simply take too long and are very frustrating. I created a business Facebook page about a year age and now have over 800 followers. If interested you can find me at "the Little Rock clock guy". I average 10 to 12 clocks per week.
I do sell on commission a few clocks for customers.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
I tune customary chime rods sets, a good manufacturer of rods has been found and making chime rods again.
My work is not full-time and when measurements for new rods sets are all set for manufacturing, my work will be finished.

Still got a stockpile of junk rods for the bad manufacturer to clear out. Might try selling those off for Tinker Toys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallmawfuedu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-