How I started...

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Natedog, Dec 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Natedog

Natedog Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    Wagon Driver. previously a roadside mechanic
    The Cotswolds
    Country Flag:
    when I was about 8, on holiday in Cornwall we found a shop called The House of London. As well as the usual tourist tat, they sold a large selection of clocks.

I came home with this really quite hideous miniature grandfather clock. Finest quality plastic, west German made. Uncovered it in a box of stuff from my childhood yesterday. It still runs, although it's missing one hand and the pendulum, and there's a few bits of damage to the case. So I'll try and fashion a pendulum for it from some wire and see what happens.

IMAG1143.jpg

The following year we went back to the same place on holiday and the shop was still there, and I came home with another German plastic masterpiece.

IMAG1145.jpg

This one is all complete bar one finial, and still runs as well as it ever did.

I know they're basically worth nothing, but as the start of my clock collection from well over 30 years ago, they'll be going up on the wall of my office

gleber and PatH like this.
  2. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cash value nothing
    Sentimental value priceless

Natedog likes this.
  3. Natedog

Natedog Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    Wagon Driver. previously a roadside mechanic
    The Cotswolds
    Country Flag:
    Absolutely. Probably not even worth a fiver between them!

The other half didn't seem overly pleased that I'd found them

Kevin W. likes this.
  4. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My first purchase was a Sessions tambour bim bam I found in an antique shop in a pile of junk under a table in a back room in the early 1970’s. I offered $5.00 for it and they took it. It was nasty and needed lots of work. I knew nothing about working on clocks. I opened the movement without clamps on the springs and it exploded. After many hours of work, I got it back together, sprayed it with WD-40, and got it working. Cleaned up the case and made a working clock out of it. Years later I gave it to my mother-in-law who kept it until her death. I got it back when she died and still have it today. Not worth much more than the $5.00 I paid for it, but worth a lot to me.
    I get many clocks in for repair that are worth very little, but customers want them repaired no matter what the cost because they were a relative’s clock.
    Thanks for sharing yours, Nate.

Natedog likes this.
  5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My first clock that got me into the hobby. Was a worn out 8 day and strike Sessions mantel clock, had movement and case issues.Paid way too much for it, just over a 100 in a antique shop. Later i got into a clock repair class and learned how to overhaul it. I still have it and look back on the memories of that clock. Its a good hobby and i enjoy helping others in repair of their clocks as well. nice to hear what started you Natedog in the hobby.

Natedog likes this.
  6. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It only takes one elderly clock or watch to start a collection
    The tick of a mechanical clock can change the ambience of a room completely

Natedog likes this.
  7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My first clock was a Black Forest clock from a flea market in Germany, bought in 1972. A "Schild" clock with a very nicely painted dial plate, the Schild. The movement however was totally full of old, gummed up oil and dirt. My initial attempt to a cleaning with soapy water or with alcohol didn't work. Not knowing better I boiled the wheels in concentrated dishwasher detergent in a cook pot for a while and they came out clean. After cleaning all the pivot holes with pipe cleaners and alcohol, I put the clock back together, oiled, and it ran. And it still does, after all the years, with occasional cleaning and oiling. I'm surprised that my method of cleaning didn't cause permanent damage to the parts but that is what it is. Still one of my favorite clocks.

Uhralt

Natedog likes this.