How do you catalogue repaired clocks/ clock acquisitions?

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
West Hartford, Connecticut
Country
Region
Hello,
I am beginning the process of cataloguing all of my clocks so I have reference of all the ones I have purchased for the future. At this point, I have acquired well over thirty mantle clock sized clocks, mostly Seth Thomas and Gilbert, as well as Sessions. So it is safe to say I have my work cut out for me. I just wanted to know what are things you write down when you are cataloguing a clock, like do you just write a simple rough paragraph of the work you did/what the clock looked like, or do you have a more specific cataloguing process? Like purchase date, model, work done, description, e.t.c. I would like to go for a more specific cataloguing process and I am just trying to get some ideas of specific things I could add. Thank you very much for your input.

- Gage

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It's only for you own satisfaction, so whatever works for you will be fine.
Willie X

Reactions: bwclock

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
I have a card catalog like they used in the libraries. I use a card for each clock, identified by maker and model, date acquired from where and price. Then restoration by date, including case and movement. Below additional repairs cleaning etc., by year.

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
I have a folder on my computer for each clock. Contains initial pictures and notes about the clock including purchase. When I overhaul a clock, I create a subfolder with step pictures of the teardown along with notes about the process including performance on the bench after overhaul. I also have an overall spreadsheet with top level details about each clock.

Kurt

Bernhard J.

NAWCC Member
Jan 10, 2022
Berlin, Germany
Country
Region
Same with me, I have a folder for each clock and watch (in the moment I am completing this in respect to wrist watches). In a subfolder any and all information, including photos, from the seller is stored. Aside my own photos documenting the status quo the folders comprise information not evident immediately (I do not record dimensions and weights) about the respective watch/clock. And an approximate (realistic) value for insurance purposes. If mayor work has been done and documented by photo, this in in another subfolder.

The data on my home computer are mirrored in the office server. I do not use the "cloud", neither professionally, nor privately.

Reactions: Wimberleytech

c.kugle

Jul 15, 2021
Country
I use a 10 inch tablet that is dedicated only for clocks. When I purchase a new clock I open a new file and take initial pictures and use note to record all related data for the clock.. When I get time to do work on it I just click on the file and notate any work I have done. When I do repair work for others I do the same thing but ask the customer if they want a printout of work done with pics and notes for their records.

Reactions: Wimberleytech

Wimberleytech

NAWCC Member
Jan 27, 2022
Country
The vast majority of my collection are watches and I use folders (for them and clocks too). I take lots of pictures before, during, and after service. All of the technical data I can find on the item is stored in the folder. Receipts for parts I buy, ebay comparative value, etc., are kept in the folder.

Reactions: Bernhard J.

Philip Snowden

Sep 19, 2021
Country
Hello,
I am beginning the process of cataloguing all of my clocks so I have reference of all the ones I have purchased for the future. At this point, I have acquired well over thirty mantle clock sized clocks, mostly Seth Thomas and Gilbert, as well as Sessions. So it is safe to say I have my work cut out for me. I just wanted to know what are things you write down when you are cataloguing a clock, like do you just write a simple rough paragraph of the work you did/what the clock looked like, or do you have a more specific cataloguing process? Like purchase date, model, work done, description, e.t.c. I would like to go for a more specific cataloguing process and I am just trying to get some ideas of specific things I could add. Thank you very much for your input.

- Gage
I have a small book in which I have written the main specifics of each clock for my son when it becomes time for him to flog em and also how much each one cost .Each clock has a name so won’t be a problem .But on hindsight I think he will just call an auction house in if they still worth money at that time.But my goodness I’ve really enjoyed the buzz of collecting them over the years .

Gage_robertson_collector

May 4, 2021
West Hartford, Connecticut
Country
Region
I have a small book in which I have written the main specifics of each clock for my son when it becomes time for him to flog em and also how much each one cost .Each clock has a name so won’t be a problem .But on hindsight I think he will just call an auction house in if they still worth money at that time.But my goodness I’ve really enjoyed the buzz of collecting them over the years .
I enjoy it to my friend.

Reactions: Philip Snowden

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
Something others may not have thought about was to keep a record for insurance purposes, and even estate matters. If theres not a list, good luck getting back what you have into it.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
I also use a spreadsheet just for my personal collection. Among others: I have a special features column, a column for photos and a column for current estimated value in case I want to sell. My repair notes are still hand written.

Vernon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteABC123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-