How do you carry your pocket watch?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by buck, May 1, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. buck

buck Registered User

Jan 27, 2006
    This may be a dumb question, but I thought it would make for an interesting thread. What ways are there to carry a pocket watch? I have a couple that I would like to use, rather than keep in a drawer.

Some of my jeans have that fifth pocket that you can get a 12 size and maybe a 16 size in. My slacks for work do not. I do not like just putting a watch in one of these pockets and having it go to the bottom. Do you use a chain? Maybe I should wear a vest :cool:

2. StanJS

StanJS Registered User

Sep 20, 2006
    Male
    North Andover, MA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I much prefer pants with a watch pocket. I don't want the watch in a big pocket with my keys, pocket knife, and coins.

I do have one strong recommendation: USE A CHAIN! All you have to do is bounce your watch once and you'll see why.

Cheers,
    Stan

MTHall720 likes this.
  3. Jerry Matthews

Jerry Matthews Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Retired
    Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sadly, very few trousers are made with watch pockets anymore, except for Levis and some other jeans, and those will only take a small pocket watch.

Of course, the proper way to carry a watch is to wear a waistcoat (what you guys call a "vest"). Watch in the left pocket (or right if you're left handed) T-bar threaded through a button hole, and attached to the other end of the chain, in the opposite pocket, the winding key or some kind of fob. You will look very distinguished, believe me.:)

Jerry

4. buck

buck Registered User

Jan 27, 2006
    Great! So in addition to dominating my workshop and home, this hobby can dominate my wardrode as well:thumb:

5. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    You can have a watch pocket added to the inside of you pants pocket. I have not done this, but others have done so. A vest is nice, but a bit much in summer. A 16 size watch fits fine in Levis. I have even warn a 18 size keywind in my Levis. It fit fine, but pokes me. I need to lose some weight.

A chain is essential and wear the crystal of the watch toward your body.

Don

6. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    I regularly (daily) carry a 16-size watch in my Levis 505s and 517s (same as a 505, but with a boot-cut leg). An 18-size will fit, but not that well (the stem and bow sticks up kinda high).

I always have watch pockets added to my suit pants and better slacks when the rest of the fitting adjustments are made. For less expensive pants and shorts, those that are better than jeans, I either don't buy them unless they have a watch pocket that fits a 16-size watch, or have a watch pocket added by the seamstress at the local cleaners. Sometimes this is a pocket added with a slit at the waistband, sometimes it is an inner "patch pocket" nested in the regular pocket.

Having watch pockets added to pants adds to their cost, but if cost was a consideration, I'd just be using the time on my cell phone display and go without a watch.

7. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Male
    Track & cross Country Coach
    Indiana PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have dress slacks from Lands End that have a watch pocket. These are twill pants that I have had for years. I am now retired so am wearing jeans much more of the time. I get my jeans from Eddie Bauer and Lands End. Both companies have jeans that the watch pocket will fit an 18S watch comfortably. I always use a chain or leather thong with my watch and ensure that the chain is hooked securely to the belt loop of my pants.

To ensure that the watch chain is solid, one should test it periodically by holding it firmly with both hands and snap it tight several times. This will let you know if there are any weak links that might break or separate when wearing your watch.

Always carry your watch with the crystal facing toward you.

When you pull your watch from your pocket to see the time, do not yank it out with the chain, but support it with your hand when lifting it. This will protect your watch from the occasional misfortune if and when the bow separates from the watch.

Have fun carrying your watch. I have carried a PW for many years and have always adhered to the above principles. I have only had one accidental drop in over 30 years.

Tom

8. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I regularly obtain chino's and dress pants with watch pockets. I have to look some but I have found casual pants by Eddie Bauer, Dockers, as well as jeans with watch pockets.

Dress pants take a bit more effort but I have found them.

I used to also have a watch pocket added. This typically costs about $12 from a local tailer. Compared to to cost of a watch or a staff replacement its cheap.

9. Ralph Porter

Ralph Porter Registered User

Nov 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For many years my daily wardrobe has included twill slacks that come with a watch pocket. My current favorites are made by Key and are fairly inexpensive ($19-$23 a pair). They're available on line from All Seasons Uniforms and come in several colors.

I've been wearing a 16 size pocket watch every day for the past 18 years, usually a Hamilton 990 but sometimes I substitute a favorite Illinois. I connect the watch to a belt loop with a sturdy chain and always use a leather tab between the watch bow and chain swivel.

Occasionally my wife insists I accompany her to seasonal events in a suit. For those times my standard is a Hamilton 941 on one end of a heavy chain and small pearl handled case knife on the other, carried in a vest just like Jerry Matthews described. It frequently stimulates some great conversation about watches and has also led to a couple fine purchase opportunities.

Ralph

10. Smudgy

Smudgy Registered User

May 20, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've seen people using a leather pocket type case that hang from the belt, but I don't know who sells them.

11. Jerry Bryant

Jerry Bryant Registered User

Mar 7, 2006
    Retired Postal Letter Carrier
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have purchased one of these leather pocket watch holsters from the Pocket Watch Site. Here's the link, if anyone is interested:

http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/accys.html

Jerry

12. Bigjeep

Bigjeep Registered User

May 6, 2007
    I carry my pocket watch in my shirt pocket with the chains "T" through the shirt button. This way the watch is handy and nothing in the pocket but the watch. I want to use my watches, not hide them in a draw. But the heavier watches can "sag" the pocket. :)

13. Melus28

Melus28 Registered User

Sep 25, 2006
    Jerry,

I am not arguing with what you said. I'm just trying to learn from you. Why is it that the correct way to carry a pocket watch is in the left pocket for a right-handed individual? I always thought that a right-handed person would carry it in the right pocket.
    Thank you.

Kind regards,

Melus

14. Joe Collins

Joe Collins Registered User

Jan 3, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Melus,

May I suggest that you put a pen in your shirt pocket, which will be on the left side unless the shirt has two pockets, then take the pen out with first your left hand then your right. I think you will have the answer:thumb:

Joe

15. convertible

convertible Registered User

Nov 8, 2002
    Don't forget the old reliable bib overalls. For best results with bibs, the watch should be a silver or silveroid 18-size, and worn on a leather thong. The leading collector in central Indiana always wore bibs as recently as the late '70s. He liked his overalls starched and pressed, however, which is not the original look.

16. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Jerry:

I'm right-handed and I've always carried my watch in the right-hand pocket of my vest (that's waistcoat to you old world types). Similarily, when I have watch pockets put in my pants, I always have them put on the right side.

But then, decades ago when I used to wear a wristwatch, I wore it on my right wrist - knowing full well that it was uncommon for a right-hander to do so.

17. Melus28

Melus28 Registered User

Sep 25, 2006
    So the pocket is more a matter of comfort than proper etiquette.

I wear my watch in my right hand vest pocket and it works for me.

I can see that Joe's point is that it might be more comfortable or easier to draw the watch from the left pocket for right handers. I will try that sometime to see how I like it.

Kind regards,

melus

18. rrwatch

rrwatch Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Male
    Watchmaker
    Pooler, GA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I'm wearing a vest, which pocket I carry my watch in depends on the watch's configuration. I'm (mostly) right handed, and if the watch is an open face it goes in the left hand pocket. If its a hunter, it goes in the right hand pocket, so that when I pull it out the crown is directly under my right thumb, making it easier for me to pop the cover open and read the time with the dial numerals right side up.
    The bottom line is, try it both ways and wear it in the pocket that is most convenient for you.

19. Jerry Matthews

Jerry Matthews Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Retired
    Sussex, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, guys, it is obvious there is no "right way" or "wrong way". It's just what comes to hand most naturally. I like Joe's example of taking a pen out of your left-side shirt pocket----it seems easier to reach across with the right hand. If I carried my watch in my right hand waistcoat pocket, I would have to bend my wrist back rather uncomfortably to take it out.

I seem to remember from some of the old Westerns that the gunman carried his revolver on the left hip---butt of the handle facing forward---for a faster draw.

:)Jerry

20. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Here's some additional information about chains:

“T” Bar
    The [colour=red]“T” Bar Chain[/colour], one of the more common ones, has a bar that is intended to go through a vest button-hole. A section of chain, more than long enough to reach into the vest pocket, with a swivel on one end, is fastened to the “T” Bar on the other. On a lot of “T” Bar chains, there is a section of chain connected about one third the distance from the “T” Bar. This hold a fob on the other end. A later example appeared in the mid-1920s which a [colour=red]Screw Arrangement[/colour] to secure the watch to the swivel.

A [colour=red]Common Form of Watch Chain[/colour] has short lengths of either three or four chains, or a wide mesh band, fastened to connective end pieces. A clip, meant to go on the waistband of a pair of pants, near the watch pocket, is on the top end and fob or drop (a decorative weight) on the other. A section of chain was attached to the top and had a swivel at the bottom.

Coat Chain
    The occasionally seen [colour=red]Coat Chain[/colour] had a large stud fastened to the upper end. This was designed to go through the lapel buttonhole of a jacket or coat. The lower end had the swivel attached. The chain was more than long enough to reach into what is now considered to be the handkerchief pocket of the jacket.

21. Jerry Bryant

Jerry Bryant Registered User

Mar 7, 2006
    Retired Postal Letter Carrier
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found a really practical and very neat shirt that I consider perfect for carrying a pocket watch. It is made by Lands End, and is called, the Outrigger Shirt. I purchased mine at my local Sears store's men's department, but they can also be ordered on line directly from Lands End. It has two standard cargo pockets, plus a utility pocket with a flap, that is secured by velcro. The utility pocket is perfect for carrying a pocket watch - of practically any size (I have tested this from my 12 size, up to my 6 ounce 18 size, and it works great, plus it is very comfortable)! Here are some photos:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=16602453&uid=5309554&members=1

I do not wear any other shirt now! It comes in a variety of colors, including solids, patterns, and, solid white. It can be worn tucked in, or outside the pants, and, for casual or dress wear. You can even wear a tie with it, and wear it with your Sunday Best! Once you wear one, you may be like me, and want to wear no other shirt (I now own a dozen of these Outrigger Shirts!).

By the way, I remember seeing a John Wayne Western movie, where The Duke wore his pocket watch in his shirt pocket, with the watch chain's T bar secured in a shirt button hole! Although The Duke's shirt was different, the concept is exactly the same as the Outrigger Shirt!

Jerry

22. Joe Straub

Joe Straub Registered User

Aug 16, 2005
    The practical aspect of carrying a pocket watch is a little difficult with most of the trousers available today because they have no watch pocket like many jeans do.

I hand stitch with a needle and thread my own watch pocket into my trousers such as the Dockers shown in the pictures. This has been working very well for me for a couple of years and a half dozen pairs of trousers.

First, I make a paper pattern as shown and then I staple or pin it to a piece of cloth and cut out the cloth in the shape of the pattern.

I then fold over the seams and hand stitch them and then I hand stitch the pocket inside the right hand pocket of the trousers on the side towards my body.

For a 16sz watch, the overall side to side and top to bottom dimensions of the pattern are 2 3/4 X 2 3/4 inches. The folded-over seams are 3/16 inches wide which results in a finished pocket with overall dimensions of 2 3/8 X 2 3/8 inches. I whip stitch the pocket into the trousers about 2 inches below the inside top of the trousers pocket.

Add a chain looped over the belt or attached to a belt loop and you are ready to go.

23. Joe Straub

Aug 16, 2005
    The practical aspect of carrying a pocket watch is a little difficult with most of the trousers available today because they have no watch pocket like many jeans do.

I hand stitch with a needle and thread my own watch pocket into my trousers such as the Dockers shown in the pictures. This has been working very well for me for a couple of years and a half dozen pairs of trousers.

First, I make a paper pattern as shown and then I staple or pin it to a piece of cloth and cut out the cloth in the shape of the pattern.

I then fold over the seams and hand stitch them and then I hand stitch the pocket inside the right hand pocket of the trousers on the side towards my body.

For a 16sz watch, the overall side to side and top to bottom dimensions of the pattern are 2 3/4 X 2 3/4 inches. The folded-over seams are 3/16 inches wide which results in a finished pocket with overall dimensions of 2 3/8 X 2 3/8 inches. I whip stitch the pocket into the trousers about 2 inches below the inside top of the trousers pocket.

Add a chain looped over the belt or attached to a belt loop and you are ready to go.

24. Joe Straub

Aug 16, 2005
    Here are the pics

25. Joe Straub

Aug 16, 2005
    I guess my pics are to large and they take to long to upload with my dialup connection. I will resize the pics and post them later.

26. Joe Straub

Aug 16, 2005
    I'll try the pics now. The total file size for 5 pictures is 688 kb.

Attached Files:

27. southerntime1

southerntime1 Registered User

Dec 3, 2007
    Hi to all

dont wont yall to forget us country boys who still use bib overalls, but you do have to check to see if they have a watch pocket, and on some brands they are small to, Have also seen leather poutches made with belt loop..

28. StanJS

StanJS Registered User

Sep 20, 2006
    Male
    North Andover, MA USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have to admit that I am becoming a fan of Ralph Lauren/Polo because about half of their pants designs seem to have watch pockets.

Cheers,
    Stan

29. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    That's why I like the Levis 505 jeans.

30. Joe Straub

Aug 16, 2005
    Yes Kent,

I wholeheartily agree, jeans are great - - - I have jeans on right now - - - but if I wore them tomorrow my boss would not be very happy, and I still can't bring myself to wear jeans to church on Sunday even though my wife says nowadays they are fashion, not just mere work wear.

Soooo . . . . I sew in a watch pocket or two.

Best regards,
    Joe Straub

31. Harv Holcomb

Harv Holcomb Registered User

Jun 26, 2006
    I have several pouches that I wear on my belt. I use a watch chain hooked to a belt loop for security.

32. Kent

Kent Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Welllllll ....

.... as I've probably said above, I have watch pockets added to my better pants and suits when the other alterations are done.