How do you bush a wooden movement?

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by jboger, Aug 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Some wood movements were made with metal bushings. Some weren't. These latter often have simple pivot holes in the plates. If the hole is enlarged and/or out of round, is there anything that can be done about this?

2. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know that this topic has been covered several times. Try doing a search on the MB. Click on the magnifying glass at the top right of the page. "Wood Movement Bushings" will bring up pages of discussions on what you are looking for.

Kevin W. likes this.
  3. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin W. likes this.
  4. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I did do a search and found exactly what I was looking for. So thanks to the both of you.

5. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I don't have a wood works clock that I want to broach, so my question was directed towards finding out what people have done. Question: Has anyone tried filling the pivot hole with some sort of filler, then broaching out a hole? This way, no original wood be removed.

6. Joseph Bautsch

Joseph Bautsch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta, GA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think that would be very practical. You would have to have a filler that would harden enough to be drilled and broached. After the drilling and broaching process the amount of filler left to fill the worn spot would be very small. The bonding between the wood and the filler holding a piece that small probably would not survive the drilling/broaching process and will come lose. You would also have a problem with the drilling and broaching in keeping both centered. The filler material will most likely cause both the drill and broach to move off center, which adversely affects the depthing of the gears.

7. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the concern is the look, you could insert a bushing from the inside, but only say half the thickness of the plate. When assembled, the movement would look untouched from the front or back.

Tom

8. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Kevin W., Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2019
    I make Delrin bushings and do it the same way that RC does, it works well. I use my Bergeon bushing machine to broach the holes to size.