how do you adjust the speed of a bouncing girl clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by JimEggers, Jan 21, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JimEggers

JimEggers Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 4, 2009
    retired
    Fairchilds Texas
    Region Flag:
    I have no trouble adjusting any pendulum clock except for a bouncing girl clock. I have shortened, lengthened, and stretched the spring till its 2' long and the clock still runs fast.....like gaining 10 minutes per hour. I know I am slowing down with age but it doesn't seem to effect this clock. Does any one know the trick to slowing it down.

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 shutterbug, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    That bouncing doll's position on the spring is how it's adjusted. You can "unscrew" her to lower her position on the spring. Keep trying until it keeps better time. It's unfortunate that you stretched the spring. You may have to look for a replacement.
    If it is not in beat (a steady tick-tock), that is set by the position of the crutch higher in the spring, inside the case. Out of beat will also affect the time keeping. Keep in mind that they are novelty clocks and will never be as accurate as other types.
    Also, there are at least two sizes of these clocks, and the springs offered by Timesavers and other suppliers are for the miniature novelty size. The bigger ones are not sold by anyone that I'm aware of. The little 1.75" spring will not work in the larger clocks.

3. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods Registered User

Feb 20, 2015
    Mailman
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    #3 insomniacshotrods, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    I Grip lightly the spring below the three tabs then rotate the tabs counter clockwise or right side tab to left to speed up and clock wise or left to right on tab to slow down. Kinda frustrating to me at first trying to zero it in , always seemed to go the wrong way.

4. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    To make it clear, it is not the length of the spring that counts,
    it is the amount of spring wire between the top mount and the
    girl that counts.
    Stretching the spring does not change the amount of wire,
    it only changes how much the girl hangs down. It would
    have little effect on the rate to stretch it.
    Tinker Dwight

5. JimEggers

NAWCC Member

Dec 4, 2009
    retired
    Fairchilds Texas
    Region Flag:
    before I stretched the spring, I bought a new one from Timesavers and it was exactly like the one on the clock. This is a larger model so it most probably came to me with the wrong spring to start with. You are correct that this is a novelty clock, not expected to be super accurate but it drives me crazy when I can't make a clock "behave". At least I know I'm not a complete dummy and I need to try something different. I would guess the larger models use a larger spring with more spring tension?

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The bigger ones use a spring that's about 3 or 4 times bigger, not necessarily stronger.

7. insomniacshotrods

Feb 20, 2015
    Mailman
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    #7 insomniacshotrods, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    I have 3 and to get them all running the same took awhile of adjusting. Seem to be fairly accurate clocks once dialed in , and of course not forgotten to be wound up. I also like putting a swivel on the swing rope so she can face front as I dial the clock speed in as close as possible. I have a fork that usually works perfect for taking of the minute hand , but this last one I got it won't budge it. Must have put it on with a sledge hammer.

8. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The fork idea is a good one! I know what you mean. Oft times they go ballistic when they finally come free.

9. JimEggers

NAWCC Member

Dec 4, 2009
    retired
    Fairchilds Texas
    Region Flag:
    I tried everything including varying the distance from the verge to the escape wheel but nothing made any difference. Then I tried adding weight to the little girl this morning......VIOLA it slowed her down. I put a small cuckoo weight on the swing beside her and she is now only gaining 7 minutes every 2 hours instead of 10 minutes per hour. Not perfect but going in the right direction. Not a quick adjustment either, you have to adjust the arm on the verge each time weight is added because the spring is stretched down. Once I get the weight close enough to make the time close to right I will be able to adjust the normal way. Then I'll glue the weights on the bottom. My wife doesn't like the weights on the swing:???:?? women

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think I'd like it either :) Can you post pics of the clock with the doll for us? A ruler with it for size reference would be good too.

11. insomniacshotrods

Feb 20, 2015
    Mailman
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Hey finally a clock the grandkids can hang from without getting in trouble. Im curious to see this problem child myself. Here are my two for a comparison https://youtu.be/QcjY-t_N-Ck I didnt know they had different size springs either. Where do you get the bigger one if you need it? I just assumed they only had the one size spring. Heck intertwine the two springs to make one long one, a 2 foot spring outta slow her down. Just be careful not to step on her when you go to wind it up lol. Remember if they were all easy it wouldnt be a challenge or nearly as rewarding when you finally get it figured out.

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Both of yours are the small novelty size, insomnia. :) Here's a larger one with cuckoo bellows.
    Bouncing Cuckoo.jpg

13. insomniacshotrods

Feb 20, 2015
    Mailman
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Well shutterbug ive never seen that setup before now. I have several of the one weighted cuckoos with and without that bellows setup, but none with a bouncing Heidi. I better hit ebay and get 4 or 5 lol. Do have a pic of the whole clock?

14. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, that one was a customer's clock that I repaired. I didn't take pic's of the front of it. You'll notice that it has the delayed cuckoo setup, like the other cheap propeller styles (both sounds produced from a single lift arm) :)

15. insomniacshotrods

Feb 20, 2015
    Mailman
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    "You'll notice that it has the delayed cuckoo setup, like the other cheap propeller styles (both sounds produced from a single lift arm) ":)

Yeah have at least 3 old ones and a couple vintage ones. My first one I got didnt have any tops or wires and I almost pulled my hair out trying to replicate what I didnt have a clue on how it worked. After getting a cheap complete one I was able to use as a copy for my other parts. Simple but yet complicated to me.

16. Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    It is a clever arrangement. When the first bellows
    falls, it trips the second one to fall.
    I don't think I'd like to try and figure it out without the
    original wires in hand.
    There are several post on these on the MB but not sure
    what a good search would be. I recall one showing good
    pictures of the wires.
    Tinker Dwight

17. JimEggers

NAWCC Member

Dec 4, 2009
    retired
    Fairchilds Texas
    Region Flag:
    Well, this is the final chapter on my question "how to adjust the time on a bouncing girl clock": I have a large model clock and you can only buy a spring made for a small model which makes it run way too fast. The final cure was I super glued 2 cuckoo clock bellows weights to the little girls bottom and did the fine adjustment the normal way by screwing the screw up and down to make it totally accurate. We have a house of "good" clocks but I really like this little clocks movement, really a novel idea. I saw a clock that worked by slinging a string around two post..........I gotta have one. Thanks for all the suggestions.....Jim

18. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do a check for "swinging ball clock" both here and on the auction sites. They come up pretty often. Be sure you get one that's working. They are a pain to repair, and like most novelty clocks, are not very accurate.

19. celticprince59

celticprince59 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Male
    Retired. Best job I ever had
    Cape Town South Africa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi. Do you know what the length of the thread should be.

Andy

20. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The thread holding the doll? Just long enough to attach her comfortably and look right. About 1.5" or so between her head and the fastener.

21. celticprince59

celticprince59 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Male
    Retired. Best job I ever had
    Cape Town South Africa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Shutter,
    I meant the thread inside the spring from the arm to the bottom of the spring

Andy

22. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I haven't seen one like that. Can you post a pic? Especially of where it attaches at the top.

23. Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    I suspect at some time someone put a safety string in it
    so that some kid didn't yank it down so far it stretched the spring.
    I don't think this was a factory addition but a good idea.
    Tinker Dwight

24. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Or, perhaps the escapement hook to the spring broke off, and they invented a way to get it to escape.

25. ACR

ACR New Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Do any of you know the weight of the doll? I made a little moving eye clock (it's the one on the bottom) with one of these movements, and need to order the spring, but I don't care for bouncing girl or boy, and will probably attach a kitten or something.

IMG_6858.JPG

26. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They're a little over 2" high and plastic. The older ones used a bigger doll and a longer spring, and are very hard to find.

27. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Timesavers has the spring, a doll, and even a complete replacement movement.