• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

How do we say the name?

John Arrowood

NAWCC Member
NAWCC Gold Member
Dec 14, 2001
I have seen at least one video on You Tube demonstrating the servicing of a Buiova wrist watch. The demonstrator kept saying Bu lova instead of what I have been saying: Bul ova. Which is correct? Difference in Brit and American English I suppose.

Tim Orr

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Donor
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, all!

The company itself ran landmark radio and TV commercials in which an announcer gave the correct time. He always spelled it out, "B U L O V A. Bulova watch time" He pronounced it "BULL-of-uh." As Hawk said, the L goes with the BU.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Reactions: T.Cu

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
There’s an app for anything these days. I was disappointed to not find Heuer on the list though. I’ve heard both ‘hewer’ and ‘hoyer’ for too long!-Cort

RL

Mar 28, 2004
Country
Cort--it is in the app list under the more recent name of---TAG Heuer.
'They made a change some time back and if my memory serves me---
the TAG stands for Techiques Avant Guard

Last edited:
Reactions: 4thdimension

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
The S at the end of Longines is silent! Oh gorsh...

That is a nice link Vic posted. As I thought, my pronunciation of many watch related companies is a total massacre. Say Vacheron Constantin 5 times fast... Whew!

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
I nearly injured my tongue attempting to get the hang of properly pronouncing "Jaeger-LeCoultre" using the Swiss/French version. Sounds more like Zsa Zsa Gabor when I say it.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
I nearly injured my tongue attempting to get the hang of properly pronouncing "Jaeger-LeCoultre" using the Swiss/French version. Sounds more like Zsa Zsa Gabor when I say it.
yager - le COULT (silent "re").

Don't try Mytholmroyd, Milngavie or Slaithwaite towns in UK!

Reactions: viclip

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
yager - le COULT (silent "re").

Don't try Mytholmroyd, Milngavie or Slaithwaite towns in UK!
I used to pronounce "Jaeger" as "yager" but evidently that's the Swiss/German version whilst the Swiss/French version (supposedly the correct one) is "zhey zher" which is difficult for me to say.

I still don't know for sure which version I should be using, noting that the sites which I linked to above don't agree.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
It's funny this thread popped up. I was sitting here yesterday trying to figure out how to say " Fabrique d'horlogerie de Fontainemelon"

I've decided FHF works just fine. Or roughbarked called it "Font" in another thread... which is also much easier!

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
It's funny this thread popped up. I was sitting here yesterday trying to figure out how to say " Fabrique d'horlogerie de Fontainemelon"

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Here is a good one. Molnija. Reading about these last night and decided to see if I was even close in pronunciation. I wasn't.

Hey Rick.

Maybe it's a computer/network thing, but the pronunciation at your linked site sounds horribly off, at least at my end.

I've linked to another site which has an audio feature for pronouncing "lightning" in Russian, maybe not perfect but far better:

Russian "Lightning" Watch Brand

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mirela
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-