How do te members feel about personalization on watch cases.................

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Jon Hanson, Jun 18, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    removed or otherwise?

I believe it is important NOT TO REMOVE any personalization as it adds character, history and some GOOD research. Plus, some intials and engraving is very beautful.

Many a watch has had engraving removed POORLY ruining covers and thin curvettes.

2. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Please note the very cool case made from chain inscribed as such on the curvette graciously pictured by Tom on another thread a few minutes ago.

3. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. grtnev

grtnev Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Male
    Retired = Consulting Engineer
    Minden, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 grtnev, Jun 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
    I concur totally with John, I would never consider removing the personalization or engraving as it is a part of the history which is so much a part of every watch.

As an example, a couple of Christmas' ago, my wife gave me an Elgin a 12s, model 3, grade 345 watch in a 14k case. The attached picture shows how this watch was personalized by "Dad and Mother" in 1916. It is a shame that, for whatever reason, this watch no longer resides with the family of the original owner. However, as long as it is in my care, the pocket watch will be left exactly as is, with the inscription: "From Dad and Mother 1916".

Richard Thomas
    Minden, NV

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      File size:
      78.8 KB
      Views:
  5. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    I really like dedications. I even like some of my watches which just have initials. I would never take one off although I have decided not to buy a few watches because they had really ugly initials.

Here is my favorite personalization. Thanks to Chapter 149 member Peter Stammler for the fine photos and for letting me make his beauty "Watch of the Month" on my site. I doubt Peter wants to take this dedication off.

59.jpg

6. Grauerj

Grauerj Registered User

Apr 28, 2009
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Consider them your "ancestors by purchase'. I like to feel that I am doing such predecessors honour by keeping alive and loved what was once significant to them.

Chris

7. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    FOLKS die, watches get stolen, melted because of money needs, etc.:mad:

8. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What about 'non period' dedications or engravings?

9. Robert Smothers

Robert Smothers Registered User

Jul 11, 2003
    Terry...I don't like 'non period' dedications. Recently bought an uncommon watch from 1917, with a 1977 dedication. The case was period correct however, I do not know if it was original, as the watch had no papers. Crown had been replaced. I still have the case, but I prefer to house the watch in a display case.....Robert

10. Rhett Lucke

Rhett Lucke Board Secretary
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    In the past, I've known many collectors who frowned on personalized cases. Years ago, I also tended to shy aware from watches with engraved initials on the case.

Over time however, my opinion has changed and if original - I don't mind tastefully executed initials or personalization on a case. In fact, I find cases with inscriptions on the dust cover and matching initials on the reverse quite interesting.

11. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    agreed, and beautiful!

12. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree. I remember when inscripted watches were heavily frowned upon.

The internet age changed all of that. A simple google search will often reveal who the owner was and his life story.

Jeff

13. 49stude63

49stude63 Registered User

Mar 21, 2009
    Male
    Technical manager
    Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a few watches that have engravings/personalizations and would never think of attempting any removal. I wouldn't add engravings of my own nor do I frown on purchasing a watch that has them. The one that is especially one of my favorites is an Elgin grade 370 BWR 17J that was presented to a retiree from the Imperial Bank of Canada in 1911. It looks as though the person never wore it and somewhere down the line his heirs sold it. I have seen some butchered engravings that I would not touch with a 10 foot pole but for the most parts with or without it doesn't have an impact one way or the other.

14. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: How do the members feel about personalization on watch cases.................

Once dealers removed inscriptions, names, dates because retail buyers didn't like/would not buy them. This started in the 1980s through the early 90s.:mad: